Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Adding Acetone to increase MPG (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/adding-acetone-to-increase-mpg-39179.html)

yodamel 03-19-2012 09:46 AM

Adding Acetone to increase MPG

I was reading over the weekend that adding 100% Pure Acetone (sold has nail polish remover) can increase your MPG. One guy did a youtube video and suggested that he increased his MPG from 24 to 34. He suggested a mixture of 2 oz./10 gallons of gasoline.

Apparently it causes gasoline to burn at a higher temperature. Also someone has packaged it has a product called XtraMPG.

There are some Cons also, namely the possibility that since Acetone is a corrosive it will damage the paint if spilled, and it could damage any rubber seals in the fuel system, however we are talking about small quantities in the mixture.

Opinions?

armoredsaint 03-19-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Adding Acetone to increase MPG

You first.

bry@n 03-19-2012 10:36 AM

try it on a rental ......lol.....

I personally wouldn't. I am too fearful of something going wrong.

nek121328 03-19-2012 11:15 AM

The fuel pump might not react well to long term use.

rockrash 03-19-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodamel (Post 596368)
I was reading over the weekend that adding 100% Pure Acetone (sold has nail polish remover) can increase your MPG. One guy did a youtube video and suggested that he increased his MPG from 24 to 34. He suggested a mixture of 2 oz./10 gallons of gasoline.

Apparently it causes gasoline to burn at a higher temperature. Also someone has packaged it has a product called XtraMPG.

There are some Cons also, namely the possibility that since Acetone is a corrosive it will damage the paint if spilled, and it could damage any rubber seals in the fuel system, however we are talking about small quantities in the mixture.

Opinions?

You have a Hemi no need to worry about gas MPG.

Ratchet 03-19-2012 12:00 PM

On an older vehicle, go for it. On newer engines, heck no!

richp 03-19-2012 12:17 PM

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

Escape 03-19-2012 03:43 PM

Bad Idea!

FlyinRyan 03-19-2012 03:48 PM

I wouldn't do it. I would resort to water and or meth injection before dumping that sh!t into my gas tank.

SW03ES 03-19-2012 04:41 PM

Dumbest thing I've ever heard...

bigjgcfan 03-20-2012 12:51 AM

Right... Trying to increase MPG's & save money at what cost?

Pouring a highly flammable solvent into your tank to ruin your engine.

It will undoubtedly take its toll on all important engine components, not to mention that it will take your paint off your Jeep if you don't pour it in or mix it carefully!

A gallon of it will cost $17.-$20. w/ tax which is the equivalent of 4-5 gallons of regular 87 octane which will get/buy a hemi owner at a real-world combined average of 14-15mpg overall about 60 - 80 miles additional.
Even if your using about 5 ounces of acetone per full tankful, it just doesn't really go into the "Wow, it's really worth it" category all while destroying a modern engine that no warranty will cover after it's torn down!

It's Beyond A Crazy Idea...

AAAA 03-20-2012 05:48 AM

Acetone is great .... for cleaning up oil based paint on your hands. I keep a can of it in my garage ... for cleaning oil based paint off my hands. I worked in a paint factory for 2 summers during high school. We used acetone... to take paint off our hands.