Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   backup lights not working (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/backup-lights-not-working-39181.html)

01grand 03-19-2012 10:53 AM

backup lights not working

Neighbor pointed out to me the other day when I backed out of the garage that my reverse lights were not coming on. I checked the bulbs and they are fine, the socket is good, so I chocked the wheels and put in in reverse and... nothing. No voltage at all from the harness for reverse. Turn signals, tail, and brake lights all work fine. Is there a fuse I should look for or a switch on the transmission that activates the reverse lights? Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

cheapjeep 03-19-2012 10:10 PM

Re: backup lights not working

Found this on another forum buddy. Seems like there is no fuse. Sorry I cant be more help. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-fuse-1247481/

Frango100 03-19-2012 10:14 PM

The backup lights switch is part of the TRS/solenoid block inside the tranny.

01grand 03-20-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 596811)
The backup lights switch is part of the TRS/solenoid block inside the tranny.

Thanks Frank, I saw that after doing some research yeserday. :screwy:

I haven't had any tranny codes lately but I guess it might be time to replace the solenoid block and do the transgo kit.

Since I have the superchips already should I just get the shift kit (SK-45RFE) or the HD2 reprogramming kit? Dave, you have the HD2 right? Do you use the resistor with the superchips or did you just leave it out?

cheapjeep 03-20-2012 06:44 PM

I have the HD2 and have had the resistor in together with the Superchips for a year.They don't compound on each other. The one with the highest value at any certain time is the one the tcm will follow.Aaron did you check all the relays and fuses in the pdc? There is a fuse and relay for the tcm up there but I cant remember which ones. I think it's in the link in my earlier post.

01grand 03-20-2012 09:08 PM

I haven't checked them yet, but I figured if the fuse was out it would take out the whole trannsmission.

Frango100 03-20-2012 10:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Aaron, there is a fuse in the backup lights circuit, however its not solely for the backup lights. Its fuse 20 on the junction block. But its also feeding the combination flasher and AZC, so probably is ok, at least you didnīt report any problems with that.
So other then wiring it can only be the TRS assy in the tranny. The receptacle on the solenoid block is not that easy to access, otherwise you could measure between points 1 and 6 and check for continuity with the shifter in reverse.
You can check it easier on connector C2, pin 25, from the junction block, and pin 1 on one of the rear light assy connectors. If there is continuity between those 2 points with the shifter in reverse, the TRS assy is ok.
If you need a new TRS/solenoid assy, i bought mine new (with white receptacle, the black receptacle ones are not made anymore and you can only get refurbished ones), i bought mine online with www.electricaladvantage.com
They respond very quickly on any questions and i did like their service. ( i had ordered a filter and seal kit for the tranny together, but then only the main filter came. They shipped me the round spinon filter for only the shipping costs:thumbsup:)

01grand 03-20-2012 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the info Frank, I will check the fuse but the flasher and AZC work fine so unfortunately my problem won't be that easy. I will check those circuits you mention. Its probably a good idea for me to replace the TRS/solenoid anyway since it seemed to be causing those codes a few months back. That and its a real good excuse to tear apart the valve body and install the transgo!

Gus9890 03-24-2012 10:36 AM

You could also have bad wiring, it may be pinched somewhere. I had the same issue in my old '92 Blazer, full size. I had to replace all the wiring.

CherokeeChief 09-08-2014 05:39 AM

I try to resume this old post, because I have a similar issue. My 2002 Overland has the backup light inoperative...but only sometimes....is the TRS not completely failed ? Thank you.

Frango100 09-08-2014 05:21 PM

It can be a bad contact somewhere, but there is a good change that the backup light switch in the TRS solenoid block is the problem maker. I just saw that i mentioned the wrong site address for electrical advantage, which should be: www.electricaladvantage.net
By the way, are you using the KYB gas-a-just shocks? I just installed them on mine and am very happy with them.