Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   WK2 Laredo X 1000 mile report (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-laredo-x-1000-mile-report-39211.html)

arvindm 03-19-2012 08:39 PM

WK2 Laredo X 1000 mile report

Just finished 1000 miles in my new Laredo x and I wante to share my thoughts. First the good things...the vehicle is beautiful inside and out. Very comfortable, quiet and absolute pleasure to drive. No rattling anywhere and no weird noise bugging the hell out of you anywhere. Hs all the basic amenities inside to satisfy me except for a built in nav.

The not so good things about WK2 are the sound system is very mediocre at best. No matter what setting you have the sound seems a little dull and lacks the sharp character Im used to in vehicles at this price range. The WK2 is a heavy vehicle and moves like one. Suspension is a bit on the mushy side. Seats are a bit firm, lack side support and slippery!

Now the bad things... Gas mileage is poor even if I drive very lightly. 17 mpg in town and 23 hwy at best! Even worse is the 5 speed tranny that has no clue when to upshift or downshift that you feel like ripping the tranny open and shift the gears manually. This hs been Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's achilles heel for over 2 decades and it still goes on. This is probably the only company that has refused to learn from previous mistakes that you wonder how the guys in the transmission developement are keeping their jobs! Every car maker out there have better transmissions than Chrysler. I am not saying that you need a 10 speed tranny, just a 5 or 6 speed tranny that actually works like it should! Shift the damn gears when needed and move the vehicle along quickly without feeling like its guts are gonna fall out!
Morons at Chrysler, please go out and test drive a Mazda CX 9 or a CX7 or even a Mazda 3 and you will see what I am talking about!

tallguy 03-19-2012 08:48 PM

Re: WK2 Laredo X 1000 mile report

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvindm (Post 596747)
Just finished 1000 miles in my new Laredo x and I wante to share my thoughts. First the good things...the vehicle is beautiful inside and out. Very comfortable, quiet and absolute pleasure to drive. No rattling anywhere and no weird noise bugging the hell out of you anywhere. Hs all the basic amenities inside to satisfy me except for a built in nav.

The not so good things about WK2 are the sound system is very mediocre at best. No matter what setting you have the sound seems a little dull and lacks the sharp character Im used to in vehicles at this price range. The WK2 is a heavy vehicle and moves like one. Suspension is a bit on the mushy side. Seats are a bit firm, lack side support and slippery!

Now the bad things... Gas mileage is poor even if I drive very lightly. 17 mpg in town and 23 hwy at best! Even worse is the 5 speed tranny that has no clue when to upshift or downshift that you feel like ripping the tranny open and shift the gears manually. This hs been Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's achilles heel for over 2 decades and it still goes on. This is probably the only company that has refused to learn from previous mistakes that you wonder how the guys in the transmission developement are keeping their jobs! Every car maker out there have better transmissions than Chrysler. I am not saying that you need a 10 speed tranny, just a 5 or 6 speed tranny that actually works like it should! Shift the damn gears when needed and move the vehicle along quickly without feeling like its guts are gonna fall out!
Morons at Chrysler, please go out and test drive a Mazda CX 9 or a CX7 or even a Mazda 3 and you will see what I am talking about!

Agree, I got mine last week.
Transmission is simply awful by any comparison, the 3.6l engine is ok but
forget about having fun with it...
I switched from a Passat Wagon with 200hp turbo engine...
WK2 needs at least a modern 6 speed tranny better would be 8.
What I really like is low noise and roomy cabin.

oshyto90 03-19-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallguy (Post 596752)
Agree, I got mine last week.
Transmission is simply awful by any comparison, the 3.6l engine is ok but
forget about having fun with it...
I switched from a Passat Wagon with 200hp turbo engine...
WK2 needs at least a modern 6 speed tranny better would be 8.
What I really like is low noise and roomy cabin.

I feel u man.... It does suck when u wanna speed up and it takes a while and don't shift that gear.... But oh well what can we do now

tallguy 03-19-2012 10:07 PM

Agree, it's an SUV and a good one.
Best is to have a nice car with lots of power sitting in the garage or even better a nice motorcycle :-)

mistadobalina 03-20-2012 12:39 AM

The transmission is a German built unit. Not a Chrysler. I much prefer it over the Chryco trans my 06 Hemi WK had. I also prefer it over the GM trans that my 2010 BMW had. I find it very smooth other than a dead spot you occasionaly stumble past but that is for fuel econ reasons.