Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   There's No Replacement For Displacement :) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/theres-no-replacement-for-displacement-39218.html)

SMG1 03-19-2012 10:48 PM

There's No Replacement For Displacement :)

So in what was surely one of the more interesting trades my local Jeep dealer has seen in recent months, we traded in my wife's 2011 Stone White/Lt. Frost Beige Limited V6 for my new 2012 Stone White/Lt. Frost Beige Limited V8.

The '11 was originally bought for my wife (who didn't really care about the Hemi or the Lux Pkg.), but we switched cars over the summer and she started driving my 2011 Maxima. I loved most things about the Jeep, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the Pentastar. Ours was an early-build truck (we bought it in 9/10), so we've been down the whole TSB, reflash, etc. route several times over. I had also gotten used to the heated steering wheel, cooled seat and weather info. in the Maxima, so I was definitely missing those things in the Jeep. After hearing enough of my griping, my wife woke up on Sunday morning and said "lets go look at Jeeps".

The only differences on the '12 are the Hemi, the Lux Pkg and the RHR radio instead of the RER. Oh, and the '12 has a dedicated front license plate bracket instead of just holes in the bumper :D. One drive and I was hooked. As a former GC SRT8 owner, I could definitely appreciate the Hemi's added sense of urgency over that of the Pentastar. The dealer gave us a good price on our trade, especially considering that the driver's side front fender was literally crumpled in from a nasty shopping cart impact that my wife claims to know nothing about :rolleyes:. Sticker on the new truck was $45,265. We got it for $40,069 before TTL. We also kept things such as our slush mats, cargo mat, chrome foglight bezels and wheel locks.

So far I couldn't be happier. I briefly considered other trucks, as our family now includes a newborn and an 11 year-old, but nothing in this price point really compares to the Jeep in my mind. The only compromise is on space compared to vehicles like the Pilot, Explorer and Acadia. But none of those combine real 4WD and the features of the Jeep. I can't bring myself to go the minivan route, so a rooftop cargo box will have to suffice if-necessary :)

http://www.fototime.com/442E8E04348742E/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4FB49412A9BD18B/standard.jpg

jgc4ever 03-20-2012 12:13 AM

Re: There's No Replacement For Displacement :)

Nice way to improve the Jeep. Isn't the Nappa leather so much softer and nicer?

AAAA 03-20-2012 05:56 AM

Most excellent!

Jdsmitty10 03-20-2012 06:22 AM

There's no replacement for stone white either! Glad you stuck with the best color. I should be picking up my stone white on black limited this week sometime. It's only the v6 but I had no need for the v8. I did get the lux package, 20's and 730 n. did u stay with a limited for the same reasons as me? To avoid the quadralift?

SMG1 03-20-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever
Nice way to improve the Jeep. Isn't the Nappa leather so much softer and nicer?

Yeah, it is pretty nice. The perforated seats were the first thing our 11 year-old noticed when she climbed in the back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 (Post 596952)
There's no replacement for stone white either! Glad you stuck with the best color. I should be picking up my stone white on black limited this week sometime. It's only the v6 but I had no need for the v8. I did get the lux package, 20's and 730 n. did u stay with a limited for the same reasons as me? To avoid the quadralift?

You got that right on the Stone White :thumbsup:. Yeah, I've always been nervous about the Quadra Lift. The ideal choice for me has always been Limited with Lux Pkg; although the wood wheel on the Overland is nice.

padgett 03-20-2012 08:24 AM

May be just me but I see a rooftop cargo carrier as just added drag that impacts the pocketbook. I have one of these and find it very useful as well as easy to reach.

SMG1 03-20-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 597000)
May be just me but I see a rooftop cargo carrier as just added drag that impacts the pocketbook. I have one of these and find it very useful as well as easy to reach.

That's not a bad solution, you've got me intrigued. The stroller takes up the most room in the back of the Jeep, so that would be the first thing to go in or on the carrier. My only question is: I see they make a weatherproof cover, but is there also a way to lock the cargo to the carrier to prevent theft at places like rest stops?

AAAA 03-20-2012 02:25 PM

Wonder what white will be replacing stone white.

JTS97Z28 03-20-2012 02:55 PM

Congrats on the Grand Cherokee (again) lol. I just purchased my 12 Overland last week and so far im lovin it as well!

padgett 03-20-2012 03:32 PM

I have a motorcycle chain and padlock that loops nicely plus locking pins. Might want a hard case if in an area you need to worry about box cutters (but then you probably have a different problem).

I like living where you can drive a convertible to a restaurant and just leave the top down.

BTW in case there is a chance for a beer, the original quote was by Augie Pabst in 1957 "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches."