Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   To those that have de-chromed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/to-those-that-have-de-chromed-39292.html)

bwaide 03-20-2012 12:36 AM

To those that have de-chromed

I have a 2011 Silver Overland 4x4 and HATE all the chrome. I'm looking to meet somewhere in the middle of what I've seen so far and wanted some input on time frame your vehicles were in the shop for paint. What I'm looking to have done is grill, window trim, and mirrors painted a dark satin, de-badge the chrome with dark satin re-badge, wheels the same dark satin, the rear painted to match with the inlaid Jeep painted to match wheels and other badges. Also looking to replace my chrome handles with body colored handles off a larado. Anybody had any experience with the handles? I love all the luxury on the inside, but not all the flash on the out.

So, what turn-around time did you guys run into?

hops23 03-20-2012 07:32 AM

Re: To those that have de-chromed

Here's a member that pretty much did what you're planning on doing. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/my2011-overland-project-28455.html I guess turn-around time will depend on the shop you take it to. I haven't read about anyone who has done the handle swap. I'm sure the shop you choose will be able to do it too.

Ernest 03-21-2012 07:36 PM

Mine goes in this Friday morning and they think they will have it finished by next Friday afternoon. I've already de-badged it and removed the side trim. They will paint everything body color--Deep Cherry Red, including the grille, fog light bezels, mirror covers, door handles, rear chrome strip and rear step surround. They will remove the lower front end chrome piece and the air dam "ears," and install the stainless mesh (from justforjeeps.com) in the grille. They will also grind off the Jeep logo on the tailgate chrome strip and fill as necessary. Also, the 18" polished wheels will have all of the internal surfaces painted black and then clear-coated. I'm really looking forward to seeing this transformation!

This is a top-notch shop and probably more expensive than many other reasonably good shops. But I'm planning on keeping this baby for a long time and it deserves first-class work! The estimate for all of this, including a 4-wheel alignment, was $3600.

evangelion_jeff 03-21-2012 08:37 PM

Why don't you like the chrome?

Ernest 03-22-2012 11:36 AM

Because I think most of it is ugly and does not compliment the lines of this car. A body-color car just plain looks cleaner, more sanitary, at least to me. To each his own!

The only exception for the time being is the window surround, which I initially thought I would have painted black. But my shop believes this is stainless, which does not tend to hold paint well. So that stays for now. At least this trim does compliment the lines of the car, and might actually look good with the rest of the car body color. We shall see.

I'm also not a fan of either black or chrome wheels, so due to the difficulty of finding a machined/black aftermarket wheel that I like to fit this vehicle, I think the stock polished 18s with the internal surfaces painted black will give me the best overall effect I'm looking for.

Justal13 03-22-2012 09:44 PM

Personally, I like the look and protection of the chrome body-side molding strips. Most other SUV's have no side protection, and I prefer the molding vs getting door dings.

I think the Laredo X has just the right amount of chrome.

I am not into the blacked-out, monochrome or lifted looks. But to each their own.

Ernest 03-22-2012 10:50 PM

I agree that the Laredo is more tasteful, with its body-colored mirrors and door handles and lack of front lower chrome piece. The step-pad surround in back is also painted, isn't it? It would be nice if all models had a de-chromed option package available. We would all be just that much further ahead on our customizing projects!

I've had some easily removable magnetic front and rear door strips for years that I used on a customized Yukon whenever I got into a tight parking space. Can't remember where I got 'em, but they worked well, and will continue to with the Jeep. They gotta be available somewhere with a little searching. There's certainly plenty of people out there who care about their cars, and who are interested in this door-ding issue.

Justal13 03-23-2012 11:16 AM

On past vehicles that don't have OEM body-side molding, I have installed aftermarket body-color painted moldings from Sportwing. Very good quality, color match is perfect and they pretty much disappear when installed:

http://www.sportwing.com/body-side-molding.aspx

They currently do not have a set available for the GC (likely because it comes with the OEM Chrome molding). But in the past, they have been willing to do a special-order if you contact them.

Just in case any of the de-chromed folks want some body-side protection that blends in with their body color.