Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   WK Maintenance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/wk-maintenance-39324.html)

RavenWK 03-20-2012 05:21 PM

WK Maintenance

Just finished doing my own maintenance on the WK (05 4.7) for the first time. Appreciate all the info here.
Things done today:
Oil change
Changed spark plugs
New serpentine belt
Serviced both diff's & transfer case (drain & fill)
Transmission drain & fill
Changed lift gate/glass struts
Changed hood strut.

Gonna get a lift & tires soon, Clean engine bay, & re-tint the windows & windshield.

Chaoul1 03-20-2012 05:44 PM

Re: WK Maintenance

You pretty much have it good right there. Check also your air filter, and coolant. Check your brakes also.

Hemi24 03-20-2012 06:49 PM

Where did you get your lift gate struts from? how much were they?

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-20-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi24 (Post 597359)
Where did you get your lift gate struts from? how much were they?

You can buy strong arms from almost every auto parts store

nspsend 03-20-2012 10:25 PM

Your list it very close to what I did a year ago when I first got my WK. I had a Jeep dealer do the spark plugs but did all the rest myself (fluids, struts). It took me a couple weeks to glean the information I needed from this forum (what a fantastic resource and great group of folks) and then procure the fluids and tools needed. Just a tip as I saw a question asked about the struts... I ordered "strong arm" replacement struts on-line getting a significant discount but picked them up at the local brick and mortar who had it all waiting for me when I arrived (a buying trick I use frequently). The final price was between $11 and $14 apiece depending on the part location (hood, lift gate, glass). Did the same for the Mobil 1 differential fluid and saved a ton. I'm going to replace the serpentine at 50,000 (I'm at 46,00 now) and also try and tackle the EGR, again with knowledge gained from this forum. Oh, installed an aFe stage 2 CAI too just for fun, $200 on Amazon. With the right knowledge and patience this stuff can be a lot of fun and not break the bank.

JMLoughrey 03-21-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nspsend (Post 597556)
Your list it very close to what I did a year ago when I first got my WK. I had a Jeep dealer do the spark plugs but did all the rest myself (fluids, struts). It took me a couple weeks to glean the information I needed from this forum (what a fantastic resource and great group of folks) and then procure the fluids and tools needed. Just a tip as I saw a question asked about the struts... I ordered "strong arm" replacement struts on-line getting a significant discount but picked them up at the local brick and mortar who had it all waiting for me when I arrived (a buying trick I use frequently). The final price was between $11 and $14 apiece depending on the part location (hood, lift gate, glass). Did the same for the Mobil 1 differential fluid and saved a ton. I'm going to replace the serpentine at 50,000 (I'm at 46,00 now) and also try and tackle the EGR, again with knowledge gained from this forum. Oh, installed an aFe stage 2 CAI too just for fun, $200 on Amazon. With the right knowledge and patience this stuff can be a lot of fun and not break the bank.

This man has the right idea, its also what i do. i do all my research online, most things you can get at your local brick and mortar store, such as advance auto. I usually use Advance myself, they usually has all sorts of good coupon codes available at anytime. www.retailmenot.com has TONS of coupon codes for them that'll usually save you a hefty chunk of change and have various codes for just about any price range you are spending. Sometimes if you are placing a larger order, it can benifit you to break it up into two purchases to save you the max amount possible.

Enjoy your WK, its a great vehicle, my 2nd jeep, first grand cherokee. Couldn't be happier.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-21-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 598136)
This man has the right idea, its also what i do. i do all my research online, most things you can get at your local brick and mortar store, such as advance auto. I usually use Advance myself, they usually has all sorts of good coupon codes available at anytime. www.retailmenot.com has TONS of coupon codes for them that'll usually save you a hefty chunk of change and have various codes for just about any price range you are spending. Sometimes if you are placing a larger order, it can benifit you to break it up into two purchases to save you the max amount possible.

Enjoy your WK, its a great vehicle, my 2nd jeep, first grand cherokee. Couldn't be happier.

i order almost all parts from the advance website now i have saved thousands with those codes over the last few years. unfortunatly they recently excluded oil from their codes.