Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   day time running lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/day-time-running-lights-39336.html)

watchful 03-20-2012 10:00 PM

day time running lights

:confused: I noticed on my new G.C. Overland that there are no day time running lights.....I tried all the head lights settings but only if I put the parking lights on, I have them....and I thought it's a law....????
My Dealer insists that there are......:o Am I missing something ??
W.

mot250 03-20-2012 10:41 PM

Are you in the USA? If so, DRLs are not required by law in any of the 50 States.

Your GC Overland (and Limiteds) come standard (unfortunately) with DRLs. The Jeep needs to be running and in DRIVE with the headlight switch in the off or automatic position. I have not verified if they are also on in reverse (I pulled my relays long before even feeling the urge to test reverse). If in the automatic position, it needs to be light enough outside so that the headlights and parking lights are off.

I'm not sure why Jeep decided to take away the ability in 2012 models for the owner to decide to turn on or off the DRL feature. Since try are std only on the Limited and Overland models (and not std in Laredo) I can only imagine that Jeep simply wants these higher end models noticed on the road for "advertising" reasons.

The only way anyone has found to disable the DRLs is to pull two relays from the small "fuse box" on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Any dealer service tech who claims this is an illegal activity or that it will cause an error code is flat out lying.

Additional details on which relays to pull can be found using the search feature.

Lingohocken 03-20-2012 10:59 PM

Re: day time running lights

I love personal freedom and would prefer that the turnoff option had been retained. Especially on a Jeep, which is still something of an icon of American freedom.

That said, why would anybody want to turn them off? Like chicken soup, they just might do some good and can't do any real harm.

ENFORCER 03-20-2012 11:54 PM

My DRL's work regardless of the light switch position and also they work while in park.
They turn on as soon as the motor starts.

Jdsmitty10 03-21-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 597575)
I love personal freedom and would prefer that the turnoff option had been retained. Especially on a Jeep, which is still something of an icon of American freedom.

That said, why would anybody want to turn them off? Like chicken soup, they just might do some good and can't do any real harm.

I too wonder what's te big deal with them? Why turn them off?

AAAA 03-21-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot250 (Post 597565)
Are you in the USA? If so, DRLs are not required by law in any of the 50 States.

Your GC Overland (and Limiteds) come standard (unfortunately) with DRLs. The Jeep needs to be running and in DRIVE with the headlight switch in the off or automatic position. I have not verified if they are also on in reverse (I pulled my relays long before even feeling the urge to test reverse). If in the automatic position, it needs to be light enough outside so that the headlights and parking lights are off.

I'm not sure why Jeep decided to take away the ability in 2012 models for the owner to decide to turn on or off the DRL feature. Since try are std only on the Limited and Overland models (and not std in Laredo) I can only imagine that Jeep simply wants these higher end models noticed on the road for "advertising" reasons.

The only way anyone has found to disable the DRLs is to pull two relays from the small "fuse box" on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Any dealer service tech who claims this is an illegal activity or that it will cause an error code is flat out lying.

Additional details on which relays to pull can be found using the search feature.

Canada is not a state in the USA. Almost, but not quite.

mot250 03-21-2012 07:25 AM

That's why I specified the USA. Yes, I'm aware Canada requires DRLs to the point that if you have an older car that does not have DRLs then a driver is required to turn on the low beams during the day.

mot250 03-21-2012 07:31 AM

If "Canada" is listed in the OP's signature, my apologies. Signatures are not visible to my when accessing this forum via Tapatalk on my phone

Red G8R 03-21-2012 08:22 AM

It's law here in Canada as others have said, so go back to the dealer.

JTS97Z28 03-21-2012 08:22 AM

I think the DRL's actually look kind of nice. I see mine turn on when I put the Jeep in gear.

padgett 03-21-2012 09:58 AM

Yes my '12 Laredo has no DRLs. Does seem odd that some do and some don't. I recall someing from about 1964 saying that the Greyhound Buss Company had reduced accidents to busses but turning their headlights on during the day.

Have noticed some really dumb omissions like the lack of a TPM readout. Suspect both might be returned with a flash, maybe Jeep should offer that as an option.

Despite the lack of manuals, I am slowly building a picture of the WK2. Nice thing about reverse engineering from a device without doumentation is that there are no controls over dissemination. Is how a number of software companies made their fortunes.

tallguy 03-21-2012 01:54 PM

That sucks!
Drives me crazy when I see cars without any lights driving around, even worse when it's getting dark and you can only see dim front lights and completely dark in the back, maybe it's only me but I wouldn't start driving away without lo-beams on, goes automatically just as safely belt...maybe it's the motorcycle guy in me and the motorcycle has added LED's for better visibility (see and being seen).