Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Ordering a 2012 GC - How does it work?

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Aiyer 
#1 ·
Hi all...

I could not find the Jeep with the options/color/etc and the dealer says that we have to order one. I have the time and am willing to wait 8-10 weeks to right Jeep.

I have never done this before and I have no idea what kind of discounts I would get. Do I pay the invoice price or way less than that since the vehicle did not sit in the dealer lot.

Any info and tips will be greatly appreciated. I did a quick search on this forum and could not find the right info.

Cheers,
-Aiyer

#2 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Depends on the dealer. 2 dealers in my area would not discount an order. The one I used had no problem. Makes sense to discount to me as there are no floor plan charges for them... in and out.
From their point of view, when you order then you're making them continue to pay the lot fees for the inventory they already have since they're moving the inventory. If you buy off the lot, then that's a lot charge they no longer have to pay. I was actually given that as a one reason once for why they prefer to sell off the lot.

#4 ·
Work your best deal, and order. Don't buy the line that they don't discount ordered Jeeps. Its just like any other purchase. Depending on where you live the JGC are coming out of the factory pretty quick. I've heard some as little as 5 weeks from order to delivery.;)

#5 · (Edited)
You should get a similar deal on an order as one off the lot. Dealers want to sell cars and make a profit. If you are looking at something they don't think will sell if you back out or the dealer does not have an allocation you won't have much bargaining power. The dealer may heavily discounting a vehicle they have on the lot.

If you are a friend or family, or have something like a tread lightly program discount, which is x% under invoice, the same deal is available on any JGC regardless. Chrysler protects the incentives and price in place at the time you order. You should get a signed purchase agreement and may need to leave a credit card impression ($500 or so) as a deposit, depending on your age and credit rating.
Look out for "documentation" fees, some dealer charge an exorbitant amount, but the fee should be the same whether you buy off the lot or not.

So bottom line is that dealers usually prefer to sell one off the lot and will try to convince you to compromise, or they can try to locate one for you or order one. If you join something like friends and family (your employer may qualify), tread lightly, or use something like JAG pricing, there is no negotiating, the price is set before you enter the show room. Otherwise its negotiating like any other sale. You may need to shop around a bit.

#6 ·
Depends on state & if dealer needs to meet a quota. I ordered my Overland for $5,790 under MSRP with all incentive $1000 & $500 cash bonus thats with no trade-in. Just call more than a few dealers in your 50 mile area and get quotes. You have to be ready to buy or order or they wont play the game.I told dealers i plan to buy in two days i have a quote can you beat this , You have to have a staring point ( go between 5 and 6 thousand from MSRP. Hope this helped. I'm waiting for my GC as i type only ordered week ago.Good Luck let us know how you make out :)

#7 · (Edited)
I sat down with the dealership sales manager behind her computer, and she stepped through the Chrysler ordering website. Then I signed some forms and paid a $500 deposit.

With Costco auto buying program, the dealer should offer $500 below invoice and waived documentation fees ($389 at my dealer). This dealer was happy to take my order rather than spend time searching for a suitable vehicle.

American Express buying program instantly quoted me $400 below invoice from 3 different dealers.

Any pricing incentives in place at time of order will be honored. If a better incentive is in force at time of delivery, you get it instead.

#8 ·
Except for one time (see below), every vehicle I've bought I've ordered. I'm picky.

Even if ordering, you still have to negotiate and make a deal just like if you were buying it off the lot.

The dealer will probably want to search other dealerships for the one you want before ordering. Go ahead and let them. They may actually find something that you missed when searching yourself. That happened to me once.

Some may try to push something they already have that's close but not quite to what you want. Just say 'no' but don't blame the guy for trying to move some inventory. Other dealers won't even blink and eye if you want to order. Especially if they realize what you want is not a standard configuration.

In some cases (the minority, from what I've experienced) it can be a more difficult to get a really good deal since they prefer to sell something off the lot, because they like to keep the inventory moving. It will all depend on how they're doing on the current monthly quotas, how fast inventory has been moving, etc. (In regards to quotas, they wont get credit for the sale until the day you sign the paperwork and drive it away. So the old adage of its best to walk into a dealership at the end of the month when buying a car doesn't really apply when ordering since you're not buying the car that day.)

When I ordered my WK2, and we got down to price negotiation, I did overhear the sales manager asking the salesman if I was buying out of inventory or not. So the salesman's answer likely impacted the price, but I have no idea how much. I don't think all that much since I think I got a decent deal. Geez, I forget now, but I think I got them to $500 under invoice and I wanted $1000 under but they stopped budging at that point. So maybe ordering cost me five hundred bucks. Heck, I lost way more money by trading in my old vehicle instead of selling it myself.

#10 ·
I did overhear the sales manager asking the salesman if I was buying out of inventory or not. So the salesman's answer likely impacted the price, but I have no idea how much. I don't think all that much since I think I got a decent deal. Geez, I forget now, but I think I got them to $500 under invoice and I wanted $1000 under but they stopped budging at that point. So maybe ordering cost me five hundred bucks. Heck, I lost way more money by trading in my old vehicle instead of selling it myself.

If you over hear a sales manager asking the salesman if I was buying out of inventory or not then they wanted you to hear.You should never go to a dealer and negotiate a price it should be done before going to the dealership. They play to many games make you wait to ware you down. I did my negotiation over internet & phone got over 3,000 under invoice with incentives.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok Jeepers....

I got a quote for the same Jeep from 3 dealers.

2012 GC Limited
Options: Trailer Tow Group & 730N media center
MSRP: $41280
Invoice: $38954
Dealer 1: $37954 plus I can take $1000 off jeep incentive or 0% apr
Dealer 2: $37584 and this includes $1000 off from jeep. Cannot take off any more and no 0% financing as well.
Dealer 3: $37300. and this includes $1000 off jeep incentive means.. i cannot get 0% apr.

I still need to pay $499 plus TTL.

What do you folks think? Deal or no deal? :)

Many thanks!
-Aiyer

#15 ·
rockrash,

what do you think tho... is this a good deal.. assuming that i get it for $37300 or should I go with dealer#1 ($37954 - $1000 = $36954 forgoing the 0% APR)

I am planning on calling each dealer tomorrow am and asking them to cut $1000 off + $499 + TTL. I just sold my ZJ and I can take delivery of the Jeep tomorrow.

BTW, rockrash... i like ur avatar!

#16 ·
My opinion is go with lowest price total. Then work the banks for the lowest apr. I got my bank to match the 1.9% deal. Plus I got the 1000 rebate. I would definatley work them against each other more. Comparing to prices I have seen u could do a little better. Or see what freebies can be thrown in...

Once I told one dealer I was headig to another to order, they took another 500 off. But they were 1-1/2 hrs away. So I ended up buying more local for 200 cheaper than my original quote..with 3 kids it was much easier to drive 20 min to order than 1.5 hrs..

Just make sure your clear u want to BUY not LEASE. one dealer tried leasing me one fr the quoted price. I was lil uhhhh not happening...I don't rent my cars

#18 ·
Got an email from Dealer#3, the price is now $37100. On their website tho, they listed the price as $37479, but he gave a quote of $37600 - $500. Numbers don't match.. he cannot give me a high number and then discount it.

I am going to have a fun day tomorrow and hopefully snag a good deal on my new Jeep. i will keep you guys updated on this drama... better get some popcorn.. hehe

Wish me luck!

#20 ·
I found that some dealer websites list prices with ALL available rebates...so if you don't qualify for one your price may not be what they have listed..so maybe thats why their "starting" price is higher than whats listed on the site... take your time..don't rush it...you will get the best deal that way..i know its tough knowing you will have to wait a long time once ordered..

#22 ·
I am not ordering at this time. I found one in their lot and I got a quote for the same exact Jeep from 3 dealers.

If this deal does not work out.. i might end up ordering.

#23 ·
ok guys... how about this.

Invoice: $38954
My price: $36299 plus tax.

Good? I am thinking so...

#25 ·
i am trying to get the 0% APR thrown in it as well..

Dealer 3 is out of the race.

#26 ·
Here is the final number. I am super happy! :)

2012 GC Limited w/ Trailer Tow Group and 730N Media center.

Discounts: $6279
Price b4 Tax: $35001 + Dealer prep of $499 and Title fee of $17.20.
Total price before tax is : $35517.20

I will post pictures after taking delivery.

Thanks everyone!

#29 ·
yes, same dealer. When he found out that i was serious about purchasing a jeep that day and i was dealing with 2 more dealers besides him, he started competing real hard to sell me that jeep. Also, the dealers found out that it was same vehicle I wanted from all of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.