Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Quadra-Drive II (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/quadra-drive-ii-39516.html)

Bomhauer 03-21-2012 07:27 AM

Quadra-Drive II

Hello all,
i have purchased a 09 WK with a 4.7L a few weeks ago and I found the original sticker information the dealer puts in the windows about the vehicle. There was the option of Quadra-Drive II on the sticker so I want to know if there is anyway of knowing if this is true. I watched some videos of JGC with this trans and they seem pretty reliable and fun so i jsut want to know for sure.

Thanks,
Bomhauer

JonJon 03-21-2012 08:52 AM

Does it have the decal between the shifter and cup holder?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

berk483 03-21-2012 09:34 AM

Re: Quadra-Drive II

Also I think it's a twelve bolt diff cover on the rear. Just incase the decal got taken off for some reason.

Bomhauer 03-21-2012 12:47 PM

JonJon, it does not have the decal next to the shifter. When I was looking at the original sticker details about the options on the JGC, there was a option that was on there for the Quadra drive II for almost 2 grand.

berk483, I will look at the rear diff this weekend.

Thanks,
Bomhauer

dr.lee.baugh 03-21-2012 01:23 PM

If you have no 4-Low position, you have the Quadra-Trac system.

If you have a 4-Low position, you either have Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II

If you have a 4-Low, plus electronics in the rear diff to control the ELSD(verifiable by an electronic plug-in that should be visible if you crawl underneath) you have the Quadra-Drive II system.

Of course, unless it has been damaged/removed, you should have a plate below your shifter stating that you have Quadra-Drive II, if that's what you have.

Finally, you can get out and do some offroading - if you get stuck, you don't have Quadra-Drive II :D

berk483 03-21-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 597822)
Finally, you can get out and do some offroading - if you get stuck, you don't have Quadra-Drive II :D

:lol: QDII is the sh!t

LTrainGC 03-22-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 597822)
If you have no 4-Low position, you have the Quadra-Trac system.

If you have a 4-Low position, you either have Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II

If you have a 4-Low, plus electronics in the rear diff to control the ELSD(verifiable by an electronic plug-in that should be visible if you crawl underneath) you have the Quadra-Drive II system.

Of course, unless it has been damaged/removed, you should have a plate below your shifter stating that you have Quadra-Drive II, if that's what you have.

QD-II in the 2005-2010 WK's had the ELSD in both the front and rear axles. They removed it from the front on the WK2's with QD-II.

dr.lee.baugh 03-22-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 598532)
QD-II in the 2005-2010 WK's had the ELSD in both the front and rear axles. They removed it from the front on the WK2's with QD-II.

This is true, but the front is harder to see ;)

Joe Ayala 03-25-2012 12:19 AM

Then WK > WK2!

And the 2009 Overland with QDII is the best of them all.

dmsfun 03-25-2012 09:56 AM

QDII is great, but not for long term ownership The diff's will whine and when they do, it only gets worse with time. Jeep stopped using Dana axles in 2004 and the QDII are not rebuildable by replacing worn parts, they must be totally remanufactured, which is VERY costly, i.e., both plus labor is 4-5 grand. Setting the bearings requires very thick shims, a special tool, and a selection of nearly 100 different thicknesses as each one remanufactured will be different, and no rebuild shops even carry the selection. It is time to trade it when the whining gets bad in other words.

Bikemobile 03-25-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 600216)
QDII is great, but not for long term ownership The diff's will whine and when they do, it only gets worse with time. Jeep stopped using Dana axles in 2004 and the QDII are not rebuildable by replacing worn parts, they must be totally remanufactured, which is VERY costly, i.e., both plus labor is 4-5 grand. Setting the bearings requires very thick shims, a special tool, and a selection of nearly 100 different thicknesses as each one remanufactured will be different, and no rebuild shops even carry the selection. It is time to trade it when the whining gets bad in other words.

Interesting.

Kreso 03-26-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 600216)

Who said that BS. I use it for 5 years in my previous GC and now for 3 years with my present GC and never had any whine or funny noises from either front or rear diff. Just maintain them properly and with recommended
fluids and you'll be fine.