Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2000 WJ Transfer case drain plugs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2000-wj-transfer-case-drain-plugs-39532.html)

GoJeepin 03-21-2012 03:39 PM

2000 WJ Transfer case drain plugs

So I was planning on changing the fluid in my transfer case on my 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo and Neither of the drain bolts will budge. I have the right 10mm allen wrench and everything. any ideas on how I could get them out?

StoneCold 03-21-2012 04:53 PM

Re: 2000 WJ Transfer case drain plugs

I had to use an air wratchet on mine. I tried a whole can of wd40 and a breaker bar and got nothing.

Make sure you put plumbers tape around the plug when you re fit it.

Frango100 03-21-2012 05:36 PM

And be sure to remove the fill plug first (the upper). If you are able to remove the lower, but not the upper, you will be sitting with an empty T-case and no way to fill it again:rolleyes:. Take care using an air ratched, because the T-case is aluminum and you could easily damage the threads. You could better try to use a hammer (gently) to break the tight fit and try again.
And there is normally no need to put any sealing stuff on those plugs, they are tapered and seal of by itself. A little bit of anti seize compound would maybe be a good idea to prevent it from corroding in place when you live in a place where they use road salt or something alike.

01grand 03-21-2012 08:12 PM

I have used a breaker bar when they are stuck before. Do not use an air impact, especially when putting them in you can damage the threads. It actually says so right on the tcase by the plugs. Like Frango says make sure to pull the fill plug first, I made that mistake once and had to carefully drill out the rounded out fill plug. (I also made the mistake of using a 3/8" instead of 10mm). Use the right plug and a long bar, maybe add a socket with an extension over the end to get extra leverage.

StoneCold 03-22-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 598041)
I have used a breaker bar when they are stuck before. Do not use an air impact, especially when putting them in you can damage the threads. It actually says so right on the tcase by the plugs. Like Frango says make sure to pull the fill plug first, I made that mistake once and had to carefully drill out the rounded out fill plug. (I also made the mistake of using a 3/8" instead of 10mm). Use the right plug and a long bar, maybe add a socket with an extension over the end to get extra leverage.

Oopsie! I won't do that again:o

01grand 03-22-2012 10:02 AM

Lol it was a good learning experience but I hope to never repeat it.

StoneCold 03-22-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 598481)
Lol it was a good learning experience but I hope to never repeat it.

Lol! I never even noticed the warning about using air tools:rolleyes:

JeepMe 03-22-2012 12:57 PM

I would apply some heat to the stuck plug. Usually works wonders.

JForestZ34 03-25-2012 02:38 PM

If you can try hitting the plug with a brass hammer a couple of times. Don't pound on it but give it a couple good hits to shock it. Then try to loosen it after that.

I wouldn't apply heat to it being it's aluminum. You could mess the threads up pretty easy if you make it to hot and cause the aluminum to become too soft..

James

xJoshxx 03-25-2012 07:46 PM

x345

10mm Allen if you have an impact get a 10mm Allen attachment. also Watch smacking on it that T-case housing is all Aluminum

always remove the top plug!

JeepMe 03-26-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JForestZ34 (Post 600292)
I wouldn't apply heat to it being it's aluminum. You could mess the threads up pretty easy if you make it to hot and cause the aluminum to become too soft..

I wouldn't say to soak it in heat, but some heat will do wonders. The fluid in the TC/behind the plug will be a heat sink and you would really have to try to apply a ton of heat to screw it up.

Since it is aluminum, anything you do you're going to have to do with some care.