Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   I want a 2 speed transfer case (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/i-want-a-2-speed-transfer-case-39631.html)

jonathan04 03-23-2012 10:16 AM

I want a 2 speed transfer case

Ok so after buying a wk2 4x4 base model I really want to have 4low is there a possible way to switch my single speed transfer case to a two speed? If so what all would I need to change? I'm new to 4x4 vehicles so I don't know much. Your help Would totally be appreciated

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-23-2012 01:10 PM

Re: I want a 2 speed transfer case

Trade your jeep in for one with a better transfer case

misfit77 04-08-2012 05:27 PM

After looking underneath my all wheel drive....there already is a transfer case. I bet it can be done and cheaply.

Maybe a NP231 out of an old Cherokee?

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-08-2012 07:26 PM

It is more than just swapping t-cases

misfit77 04-09-2012 12:46 AM

Fine....swap transfer cases and add a pull handle.

Use bailing wire and JB weld.

JonJon 04-12-2012 07:21 AM

^^^^ that pretty much makes anything work...Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

tkarner03 04-12-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 609590)
Fine....swap transfer cases and add a pull handle.

Use bailing wire and JB weld.

if your not going to use advice some ones giving you on a topic that you started then whats the point of asking around?

misfit77 04-12-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkarner03 (Post 611652)
if your not going to use advice some ones giving you on a topic that you started then whats the point of asking around?

Pgardner....I am not the OP.

Telling someone "It is more than just swapping t-cases " is hardly advice.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-12-2012 11:25 PM

It was meant to tell the op that it is not worth it to do a conversion and he should have bought a better jeep.

misfit77 04-13-2012 10:20 AM

no way......he probably saved $5K on a used AWD and probably goes off road once in a while.....Like me.

I no longer need a serious machine. That's why I sold my XJ.

Installing a 4low seems like a fun project. I wont be doing it thought. I got too much crap already.

05wkguy 04-13-2012 09:27 PM

Well,lets talk this out for real.

Take a t-case from a wrecked QDII equiped jeep, no prob.

first question:will it even bolt in place,or is it a different bolt pattern and physical size than the single speed?
If the size is diferent then new driveshafts would be needed,probably off the same wrecked WK. If the bolt pattern doesn't match then you would need some kind of adaptor fabbed up. read:big money

2nd question: how do you control the t-case? Knowing that the TCM is built into the computer on the 4.7/5.7 WK's (the only vehicles to get QDII) some sort of stand alone controller would be required. They exist but again, read:expensive

So if using a factory 2-speed t-case isn't practical,then an aftermarket one would be needed.

1st question:can it be bolted up (see same previous). Different driveshafts can be made,but are,you guessed it, expensive

2nd question: how do you control it? there are cable operated units and there are conversion kits for those that don't have that option from the manufacturer. So actually, not a big deal. Some holes and rubber gromets to seal said holes,problem solved.

^^^This is probably going to be the only way to get a 2-speed case in there. You would probably spend close to $3-4000 by the time to buy the t-case,driveshafts, adaptor plates, and cable operated conversion kit.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-13-2012 10:31 PM

Dont forget new differentials