Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   My first impressions of the Bilstein/Addco combo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/my-first-impressions-of-the-bilstein-addco-combo-39639.html)

cheapjeep 03-23-2012 11:57 AM

My first impressions of the Bilstein/Addco combo

First thing first. I live in the country and the roads around here are tar and chip barely better than dirt nightmares. My first drive was a little unsettling in the fact that I have been trapped in my big old Bonneville since October.The wj seemed a bit choppy and stiff on these back roads.I was a little concerned because I had heard Bilsteins are sometimes known for a stiff ride.You have to remember that I also have higher rate Rusty's springs on there.I believe it's
more me having Jeep withdrawal than anything else.Once I got out on the highway though my concerns quickly vanished. Gone is that dreaded front corner dive that happens when you have to make a quick turn maneuver while at speed and also gone is that rear end wallow that I hated so much about the WJ. Kinda feels like a sports car now.What I've found out over my many years messing with sh@t is that everything you do is a compromise and you have to give a little to get a little and I really didn't sacrifice that much. Don't get me wrong the rough stuff ride isn't awful its just different and I wish I would have done this years ago. Also the purpose of most of my suspension upgrade was to have a stable vehicle when towing a #6000 camper and in this area a great victory has been achieved.

jlewissystem 03-23-2012 12:03 PM

Re: My first impressions of the Bilstein/Addco combo

Excellent sir!! :clap:

01grand 03-23-2012 06:57 PM

Great! I knew you would love the new suspension setup. I agree that the bilsteins can be a little stiff at times but the on road improvement between the addcos and bilsteins is phenomenal. I wasn't sure about spending the $ but they were worth every penny. Man idk if I could let my jeep sit around so long without driving it! Have fun with if now!

Say are you going to use the super chips toe tune with the trailer?

cheapjeep 03-23-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 599584)
Say are you going to use the super chips toe tune with the trailer?

I'm not sure yet Aaron cause the tow tune is a 91 octane tune also and the way gas is going up it's getting hard enough to fill it up.I think I'll leave the 87 in for the first trip and take it from there.

01grand 03-23-2012 09:04 PM

Ah ok, I didn't know the tow tune was for 91, definitely a deterrent to using it. The 87 would probably do fine taking it easy. Although 6000lb of dead weight on the back end keeps you down a bit. :lol: