Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Wife was rear ended - need repair advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/wife-was-rear-ended-need-repair-advice-39697.html)

Gymkata 03-24-2012 06:59 PM

Wife was rear ended - need repair advice

Hey all,

My wife was rear ended at a stoplight today. Our 2008 WK Overland rear bumper was pushed in on the driver's side, but other than that seems fine...can't say the same for the Honda Odyssey that rear ended her. I will have it inspected to assure there is no damage to the frame or other components. Fortunately my wife and her mother were not injured. I have a few questions for anybody knowledgeable regarding these things (thanks in advance):

1) Are there any particular areas that could have been damaged that an inspector might miss that could come back to haunt me?
2) Does anybody have recommendations on a well-made steel rear bumper replacement...might as well replace the bumper with something solid since it needs replacing anyway. How would a steel rear bumper work with the rear parking sensors?

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-24-2012 08:37 PM

Re: Wife was rear ended - need repair advice

there is no "frame" on the WK just replace it with factory parts, the WK is a tank. i have had two big collisions and it is fine

Gymkata 03-24-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 600021)
there is no "frame" on the WK just replace it with factory parts, the WK is a tank. i have had two big collisions and it is fine

I guess i should have said "structural unibody components" :D

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-24-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gymkata (Post 600041)
I guess i should have said "structural unibody components" :D

It will be fine, nothing major would have been damaged

JMLoughrey 03-27-2012 04:37 PM

jeeps are definatly built tough, about 8 years ago i was in my jeep liberty, slide into the back end of a VW jetta in a snow storm, nobody was hurt, hit him at maybe 5mph. I had a scratch in the clear coat, his jetta looked like it was hit by a mack truck. He got out, i asked if he was alright, he looked at me puzzled, said he was fine, looked at his car, and looked at my jeep.

A short silence went by and he goes "thank you, if this had been a real accident i could've been seriously hurt" His entire back bumper was basically in the trunk, trunk lid was crumpled, tail lights had popped out. He then said, and i'll never forget it, "i'm definatly getting a jeep now"

Gymkata 03-28-2012 08:40 PM

I know what you mean...My wife took the GC to get a damage estimate today. I was expecting 4-5k since everything seems to be so expensive these days. It came back as only 1600. It needs a new rear bumper with all the park assist stuff (bumper doesn't actually look too bad but is torn a little) and a small dent in the tailgate fixed and repainted. The Minivan that rear ended my wife was totalled...that is probably mostly due to the fact the GC bumper was too high to touch the minivan bumper, so it hit above it and pushed the radiator in.