Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Going to cry. Hail damage. 3 week old jgc (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/going-to-cry-hail-damage-3-week-old-jgc-39699.html)

jd2012jgc 03-24-2012 08:34 PM

Going to cry. Hail damage. 3 week old jgc

Got my '12 jgc on March 7.
Left this morning for Naples, FL from western NY.
Rained off and on the entire day--NY, PA, WV, VA, NC.

In southern VA, I-77, a few miles north of the NC line, ran into hail the size of tennis balls. (Im not making this up, the national weather service confirmed 2.5"-3.0" inch hail.)

Imagine chunks of ice the size of tennis balls crashing into your vehicle from thousands of feet up. I dont have to imagine that anymore. I've counted 20 huge dents in my hood and fenders, and about the same amount all over the roof.

So here are my questions.
Hood and fenders will have to be replaced.
Can the roof be repaired or can it be replaced?
Or, is my jeep an insurance write off with 1300 miles on it?

(good news, averaged 19 mpg driving today at speeds between 70 and 80 mph through mountainous terrain.)

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-24-2012 08:39 PM

Re: Going to cry. Hail damage. 3 week old jgc

you would have to have more than half the value of the vehicle damaged to have the insurance co total it. i highly doubt you have that with hail damage to a hood, fenders and roof. without pics it is hard to tell, but im sure they will be able to repair the parts without replacement. luckily hail is comprehensive and wont raise your rates.

bry@n 03-24-2012 08:46 PM

damn. that sucks. I hope it get's fixed quick and you c an't see there was any damage.

J13ntv 03-24-2012 09:32 PM

Some people in 2011 had extensive hail damage from the freak storms on long island. If you search you might be able to find the post. They had it repaired and fixed it wasn't totaled.

Marlin 03-24-2012 10:13 PM

A good repairer will fix your Jeep as good as new. Don't fret too much. Ensure you research the repairer and tell them that you're completely anal and will return the job if it's not up to standard. Telling them up front that you could be a disaster-fussy client will ensure your Jeep gets the right attention.

The hood and fenders are easy repairs or replacements.
The roof panel could be either replaced OR repaired, depending on how sharp the dents are.
You might be amazed with what can be repaired without even painting or new panels.... if the dents aren't actually creased, a "dent-doctor" might even get them out.

Post up some high res pics mate!

One thing is certain, it wwould be "totalled". If your description was smashed glass and windscreen etc.... then I could imagine the damage as very bad and closer to a "write-off".

Eric67 03-25-2012 04:13 AM

Did the sunroof break also ?

armoredsaint 03-25-2012 08:09 AM

damn that sucks! do you have pics? i'm been lucky to never had hail damage, when it does hail especially when i am driving i pull off at an underpass asap - speed and hail increases the chance of dents.

AAAA 03-25-2012 11:40 AM

The noise must have been terrible. You are fortunate that you did not have glass breakage.

perfectlyfrank 03-25-2012 04:39 PM

I had major hail damage on a one month old car about 10 years ago or so. I went to one of those paintless dent removal places. I can't even remember how many dents there were, but there was only one that was ever so slightly noticeable after the repair. The best part was, my insurance company cut me a check for the estimated traditional repairs and the paintless dent removal was about half that.

SW03ES 03-25-2012 06:40 PM

God...a freak hail storm in March...unreal...

That sucks, we've been there. Good news is as others have said, it can be fixed 100% and you'll never even know.

Yadkin 03-25-2012 07:09 PM

Been there, long ago, NYS thruway, 1986....

I'm guessing that OP has the V8. I drove that same route a few weeks back, including a stint to metro NYC area, ten over on cruise, and averaged 21.

bond7 03-26-2012 03:04 PM

Whoa.. I would have been crushed if that had happened to my brand new JGC