Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Oil leak under vehicle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-leak-under-vehicle-39711.html)

hammer1234 03-25-2012 09:07 AM

Oil leak under vehicle

1 Attachment(s)
Just noticed what appears to be an oil leak under my Jeep...:( parked it in the garage and several drips came down.

I wiped the leak off but you can see the stain in the attached picture.

What is this part and would the oil be leaking from it or from somewhere else?

RageOfFury 03-25-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Oil leak under vehicle

That's either the front differential or the engine. Bring your Jeep to a dealer ASAP!

hammer1234 03-25-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 600237)
That's either the front differential or the engine. Bring your Jeep to a dealer ASAP!

Thanks...that's what I suspect. I take it driving to the dealer about 5 miles away will be OK?

This will be 3 major repairs in a few months, not very encouraging. Getting tired to having to drive my 11YO car which has its share of issues.

RageOfFury 03-25-2012 12:11 PM

Check the level of the engine oil before you drive to the dealer. If the level is ok, then go for it.

tnjeep 03-26-2012 06:55 AM

It looks like the front diff to me but that oil is awful dirty looking to be gear oil unless you got alot of miles on your Jeep. It is either gear oil leaking out of the diff or motor oil leaking from somewhere else and gathering there.

hammer1234 03-26-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjeep (Post 600666)
It looks like the front diff to me but that oil is awful dirty looking to be gear oil unless you got alot of miles on your Jeep. It is either gear oil leaking out of the diff or motor oil leaking from somewhere else and gathering there.

Jeep has 20K miles and we had the oil changed at 17K. Oil level was fine (top of safe zone) but there were only a few drops on the garage floor so the leak is minor. I was planning on having the differential oil changed at 24K per the owner's manual.

Vehicle is in the shop and hopefully I will hear sometime today.

hammer1234 03-26-2012 01:45 PM

Just got a call from the dealer...said that the "leak" was excess refrigerant from a recent AC repair that dripped down and got dirty along the way. Did not find any other leaks. Cleaned up the areas and we should be OK.

Had no other issues or symptoms so the cause seems plausible to me.

Good news although I will keep an eye on it in any case. Could be a little bothered by the dealer not cleaning up after the repair but they have been really good with other issues so...

tnjeep 03-27-2012 05:15 AM

What a relief, had me crawling under mine yesterday just to make sure. I've got the skid plates which makes it a pain for shade tree mechanics and hard to see anything. As far as gear oil goes, 24k seems really early unless you are pretty hard on it (lots of towing, off roading, etc.) I would just inspect it and if it looks good just leave it be.