Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   HID troubles.. Worked fine for 2 minutes, now they don't turn on? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/hid-troubles-worked-fine-for-2-minutes-now-they-dont-turn-on-39724.html)

conorm7 03-25-2012 03:29 PM

HID troubles.. Worked fine for 2 minutes, now they don't turn on?

Hey everybody, I have the NOTTO SE 9006 low-beam 10k HID kit I got from carid.com and they installed fine, worked for about 2 minutes but then I drove up to the local hardware store for zip ties, turned off my headlights and went inside and once I came back out and turned them back on they don't turn on.. what gives? Got home, turned off the engine and I can hear the relay switching on when I turn the headlights on but the HIDs aren't actually on.. Any ideas?
Edit: This is for my 06 WK, I have the capacitor harness hooked up & the relay is in (obviously)

mikes07srt8jp 03-25-2012 04:16 PM

Re: HID troubles.. Worked fine for 2 minutes, now they don't turn on?

Sounds like you are having issues with the can-bus system that our jeeps have. The capacitor is supposed to counter act that. There should be a capacitor connected before each hid ballast. Or is there a capacitor connected in the relay harness itself(which i have never seen)?

Scottina06 03-25-2012 04:53 PM

you dont need the capacitor with the wk...all you need is a relay harness for each lamp.

conorm7 03-25-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes07srt8jp (Post 600321)
Sounds like you are having issues with the can-bus system that our jeeps have. The capacitor is supposed to counter act that. There should be a capacitor connected before each hid ballast. Or is there a capacitor connected in the relay harness itself(which i have never seen)?

Yeah, there is indeed a capacitor before each ballast. It goes Ballast > Capacitor > Relay.. I do remember reading about the polarity maybe having to be reversed, but if that was the case wouldn't it have not turned on at all initially? Or maybe I blew a fuse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 600340)
you dont need the capacitor with the wk...all you need is a relay harness for each lamp.

So you're saying go straight from the relay to the ballast?

mikes07srt8jp 03-25-2012 05:18 PM

Check the fuses, could have blown somewhere. if it doesn't have a can-bus system it shouldn't affect it at all then. the capacitor was correct if it worked the first time and stayed lit. if you let it sit and it turns on once you try it again, then it was the can-bus system doing it if it has one. Relay should have a fuse from the battery and the factory headlight fuse. make sure you have a good ground to the relay harness. You can also put a jumper wire directly to the relay socket pins from the battery to trouble shoot the relay system.

conorm7 03-26-2012 02:29 PM

Update: Just got done working on it.. Opened the inline fuse from the positive to the relay and it was burned out. Replaced it, turned on lights & burned it out again. Double checked wiring and was all correct.. Tried to take the capacitors out of the picture and that's when one of the wires from the relay started to smoke.. BAD. Pulled out the entire kit, called vendor & getting a refund.. I don't know what the problem is but I would not reccomend the NOTTO SE kit.. anyone have any reccomendations for HIDs?

carioca 03-26-2012 03:04 PM

Yeah, what Scott said.
You need a relay harness in order to work, same thing happened to me when I first installed my HID's a year ago.

Scottina06 03-26-2012 05:05 PM

Get HIDs from our forum vendor....XenonDepot. They are the BEST in the business. We see imitators on here everyday and they just dont cut it! XenonDepot hands down!

08Hemi 03-26-2012 07:01 PM

^^ Agreed...my Volt kit from XD has been going STRONG for 2.5+ years now :)

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=4840

conorm7 03-27-2012 07:07 PM

Do I need to purchase a relay separately if I buy the Xenondepot Volt kit?

Gus9890 03-29-2012 11:32 PM

I have Notto SE and they work fine, but I have a WJ. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.