Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Weak seat heaters/coolers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/weak-seat-heaters-coolers-39805.html)

avalys 03-26-2012 05:10 PM

Weak seat heaters/coolers?

I have a 2012 Overland Hemi. It has the ventilated, heated/cooled seats.

I have found that both the heating and cooling functions are relatively weak. They are noticeable when turned on, but it is not a dramatic effect.

I do not have anything to compare the cooling to, but the heated seats in my old BMW were nuts - they would roast you even on the lowest setting.

I was really looking forward to the cooling function - I hate being warm - and I have to say this is one of the only aspects of the WK2 that disappoints me.

What it has is better than nothing, but not what I expected.

Are others' the same way or is there something wrong with mine?

nonopr01 03-26-2012 05:19 PM

Re: Weak seat heaters/coolers?

Mine works like a charm and I live in 95+ weather all year.

BobsWK2 03-26-2012 05:24 PM

For reference, I compared the ventilated seats in the BMW X5 to the WK2. The WK2 ventilated seats work great compared to the X5. And on top of that, BMW charges a kings ransom for the ventilated seats. The heated seats in my WK2 work fine for me. But it doesn't get below 40 degrees around here (and the WK2 is garaged) so maybe its not a good test for the heated seats.

smcoverland 03-26-2012 05:31 PM

The air conditioner has to be on for the seat cooling to work. Makes a big difference.

The seat heaters are not as strong as I've had in other vehicles, but I've grown to appreciate this. It's nice to have the constant gentle warmth without cooking my goose.

rustyosaurus 03-26-2012 06:23 PM

i used the vented seats today after i got totally overheated doing yard work. they weren't *major* but it was enough for me on high. i could see myself getting cold after awhile. the heated seats are okay, not that great though, imo. i'm okay with how hot they get - i just wish they warmed up faster and covered the whole seat bottom and not just the back half.

i also *hate* that loud click every time you turn on the steering wheel or heated/vented seats.

77Cherokee 03-26-2012 07:07 PM

On high, my heated seat will burn a hole through your pants after about ten minutes. You might want to have yours checked.

In warm weather, the seats are ventilated, not cooled. They blow up just enough air to help prevent sweating and add comfort. Don't expect cold air.

andyh 03-26-2012 07:50 PM

Mine heat and cool my petite buttocks with no complaints.

Ashton 03-26-2012 08:39 PM

I'm with Rustyosaurus. They aren't bad, but the heat could be quicker to heat and cover the seat better. My heat is adequate on high, but by no means as warm as my wife's BMW or my previous Mini.

The vented option however is very good on my Overland. From hot to cool enough it makes you feel like you wet your pants in no time.

ErikRP 03-26-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus (Post 601076)
i also *hate* that loud click every time you turn on the steering wheel or heated/vented seats.

Loud click? I can't recall mine making much if any noise when I push the buttons in my '11.

rustyosaurus 03-26-2012 09:54 PM

i never noticed it either - until i started noticing it. now i notice it every time i turn on the heated/vented seats or steering wheel.

JTS97Z28 03-27-2012 06:59 AM

No clicks on my new 2012. I am overall pleased with the heated and ventilated seats. My previous Acura took forever for the seats to provide heat and the Jeep definately does it quicker. I also like the fact that it doesn't roast you as that starts to get uncomfortable. The heated steering wheel works incredibly!! As for the ventilated seats, I like them on the Jeep. I would say they were on-par with the 2012 Acura TL loaner I had a few weeks ago. I haven't experienced it myself, but I was told Lexus vehicles have weak vented seats, if that's true or not I can't confirm. I love my new Overland!! :-)

armoredsaint 03-27-2012 07:40 AM

It's too bad the heat and cooled seats are weak - compare that to my BMW, Audi or my parents Volvo's - it will warm up nice and quick.