Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Antenna Base replace and repair (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/antenna-base-replace-and-repair-39808.html)

DooNorth 03-26-2012 05:46 PM

Antenna Base replace and repair

So last summer I went through a carwash and the roller thing sucked up my antenna cable and ripped it right off my car ( did not notice until days later ) but it chipped the paint around the base and throughout the winter in MN has already caused slight surface rust.
Looking for any input on how to clean up the area without having effect on the surrounding area as well as to where I can look to find a new antenna and mounting bracket?
With the paint chipped out from under the antenna it moved around and I was worried it was going to chip away more, so I went to remove it, but it had rusted to the point that it was cut clean off and now I'm left with an empty hole in the antenna spot.

Thanks

cheapjeep 03-26-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Antenna Base replace and repair

Well I feel your pain and definitely can relate. First don't replace the antenna with anything but a factory mopar replacement! Nothing else fits right trust me I tried them all. In the end I had the hole so screwed up I ended up having the hole welded up when I got my paint job and put an amplified one under the dash which only works half as good.

DooNorth 03-26-2012 09:35 PM

What a PITA!! How much did the paint job run you? There is only about 1/2" of the exposed damage that won't be covered by the mount, pretty tempted to just layer on some touch up paint after getting the rust off. Anyhow, I've been having a hard time finding a used antenna that also has the mouting piece that the actual antenna screws into. Do the replacements come with the whole set up or just the antenna?

cheapjeep 03-26-2012 11:05 PM

LOL I was getting it painted anyway because a hanger system in the garage failed and a shovel and steel rake fell on it in the garage. It all comes together but your talking over $70. I'd try a coat of touchup every couple of days till you get it built up past the original level then try sanding and polishing. You might be surprised. While you're doing that there is a connector under the pass kick panel you can pull apart and plug in a cheapie ant into and lay it under the rug till your ready. Actually works half decent. You have to find that connector anyway because that is where the new factory antenna plugs in.

DooNorth 03-26-2012 11:32 PM

I almost should just get the entire panel painted, actually the entire thing, living in an apartment the last 5 years I seem to have aquired quite the collection of door dings and a recent side swipe which happens to be on the bottom of th right fender.
Anyhow, I'm still having a heck of a time finding the actual base mount that the antenna screws into. Only thing I found was about $50 which seems outrageous for what it is.

TJXJWJ 03-28-2012 01:53 PM

If you need an OEM radio antenna, I've got one. PM me if you're interested. As for the mount that goes on the fender, I don't have that laying around. That might end up being a dealer part...but check first with just4jeeps and with teamgrandcherokee. They seem to have all kinds of OEM items like this.

DooNorth 03-28-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 602449)
If you need an OEM radio antenna, I've got one. PM me if you're interested. As for the mount that goes on the fender, I don't have that laying around. That might end up being a dealer part...but check first with just4jeeps and with teamgrandcherokee. They seem to have all kinds of OEM items like this.

I have had no problem finding the mast for a reasonable price, but the issue is the mounting base. I contacted my cousin from Car Parts Direct ltd and have him looking for one.
I really like the look without one up front completely I need to repair the area around the base anyway and might be easier to just go that route and get an in dash one even though I've heard the reception isn't the best. Makes it nice and clean.

TJXJWJ 03-28-2012 08:10 PM

The only other thing I can think of is a junkyard...or maybe e-bay?

cheapjeep 03-28-2012 09:27 PM

Here's a couple pics close up.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...MG087Small.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...MG088Small.jpg

DooNorth 03-28-2012 10:04 PM

What do you use for your antenna? In Dash? and if so how well does it work?

cheapjeep 03-28-2012 11:05 PM

Under the dash and it doesn't work too well. I mostly listen to sirius anyway. Exploring a couple options though.

TJXJWJ 03-29-2012 06:45 AM

Do you still have your roof rack? If so, I wonder how much better it would be if you ran antenna wire up into the channel of the roof rack. You could hide it pretty well I would think...there's a lot of plastic on the leading edge of the rack support that an antenna wire could probably fit under