Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How to negotiate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-to-negotiate-39841.html)

iwearpumas 03-27-2012 09:35 AM

How to negotiate

Went to a dealership today and the salesperson was adamant about the MSRP price. I currently am on my 4th vehicle and I never negotiated for any of them for the fact that I was very young and naive, but reading this forum, I learned to never pay MSRP for a vehicle. I also see that the majority got good deals and a lot of money off the price. What are some techniques and phrases that I can say to negotiate a good deal? I never negotiated for a car before, and I want to drive off with the best deal possible. I just don't know how to go about doing it. Thanks in advance for all input.

ColinIllinois 03-27-2012 09:47 AM

Re: How to negotiate

Do your research and find a price that you think is fair to both you and the dealer. Sites like truecar.com are helpful.

Don't limit yourself to just deal with one dealership.

Don't be afraid to stand up and walk out if you think they are treating you like an idiot. At the same time, be firm but don't be confrontational.

Don't set time limits for when you have to purchase your vehicle like "I really want to finish this deal by tomorrow". Patience can be rewarding.

This forum, as you have seen, is very helpful. If you are offered a deal post it here and everyone will be glad to give you constructive feedback.

mrfixxit7 03-27-2012 09:48 AM

their are several online sites such as edmunds. you go their and can find the dealer invoice for the vehicle you want. you take that to a dealer (usually the internet sales or the manager) and tell him you are willing to pay the invoice amount or you will go someplace else. I think you can also still join tread lightly for around $60.00 and you will receive a packet for the Chrysler affiliate program. you will receive a number and you can go to just about any Chrysler/Jeep dealership show them the number and you will receive the vehicle for 1% below dealer invoice. I think you might have to pay some admin fee but it is not too much and most times you can talk them out of it.
If you do a search about the program you should be able to find out a lot on this website.
Hope that helps

NHman 03-27-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinIllinois (Post 601497)
Do your research and find a price that you think is fair to both you and the dealer. Sites like truecar.com are helpful.

Don't limit yourself to just deal with one dealership.

Don't be afraid to stand up and walk out if you think they are treating you like an idiot. At the same time, be firm but don't be confrontational.

Don't set time limits for when you have to purchase your vehicle like "I really want to finish this deal by tomorrow". Patience can be rewarding.

This forum, as you have seen, is very helpful. If you are offered a deal post it here and everyone will be glad to give you constructive feedback.

+1

Also consider becoming a member of Tread Lightly. One of the benefits is receiving the supplier discount (invoice less 1%). Plus you would still receive any manufacturer incentives or rebates. This would apply to any JGC except (i believe) for the SRT8 model. For some people negotiations are very difficult and can be emotional. The supplier route removes this from the equation.

iwearpumas 03-27-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHman (Post 601502)
+1

Also consider becoming a member of Tread Lightly. One of the benefits is receiving the supplier discount (invoice less 1%). Plus you would still receive any manufacturer incentives or rebates. This would apply to any JGC except (i believe) for the SRT8 model. For some people negotiations are very difficult and can be emotional. The supplier route removes this from the equation.

So with tread lightly, I can walk into the dealership and pay basically the invoice price (minus1%) on the vehicle no matter we what the add on make the MSRP?

NHman 03-27-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwearpumas (Post 601511)
So with tread lightly, I can walk into the dealership and pay basically the invoice price (minus1%) on the vehicle no matter we what the add on make the MSRP?

Correct. Just need to become a member. The cost for a 3-year membership is around $60. A good investment considering the dollar and hassle savings.

I used the TL/supplier program to buy my Overland. I still received the incentive which was the conquest cash.

Tread Lightly
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php...al-Memberships

Jdsmitty10 03-27-2012 10:17 AM

I emailed a couple dealers with the exact setup I wanted and got quotes and had them beating each other out on price. Make sure they know you are shopping around for the best price. I never even stepped foot in the dealer til I had a price I was happy with.

Aiyer 03-27-2012 10:29 AM

Consider doing all your transactions via email/internet. I contacted a dealer Costco had a deal with. With costco, it was $750 off of invoice price. I also signed up for $60 TreadLightly membership.

I also went to Edmunds and contacted dealers around via that website. Finally, a day or two before I pulled the plug on purchase, I made all my dealers aware that I am also talking with other dealers in the area.

On the day of purchase, I took the lowest offer I received and sent to other guys... asking them to match/beat the price. One dealer dropped out of the race early... and the other two really competed against each other hard. In the end, I got the Jeep for $6200 below MSRP. I did all this by email. No one pays MSRP these days.

Be patience and stick to what you want in the vehicle. The dealers will try to sell you something they have in the lot.

Hope this helps and this forum is a great resource. Good luck!

moosehead 03-27-2012 10:39 AM

Be prepared, courtesy of Joe Schmoe below.

http://wkjeeps.com/misc/dealer_finance.jpg

rockrash 03-27-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwearpumas (Post 601491)
Went to a dealership today and the salesperson was adamant about the MSRP price. I currently am on my 4th vehicle and I never negotiated for any of them for the fact that I was very young and naive, but reading this forum, I learned to never pay MSRP for a vehicle. I also see that the majority got good deals and a lot of money off the price. What are some techniques and phrases that I can say to negotiate a good deal? I never negotiated for a car before, and I want to drive off with the best deal possible. I just don't know how to go about doing it. Thanks in advance for all input.

Its all a game with your money. Learn how to play. Build your GC & select your trim- Laredo, LaredoX,Limited,Overland & whatever options you want.Get the MSRP & invoice of your build with options and look on this site http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2012-wk2-prices-paid-master-thread-27551.html and see what others payed for that build GC. Good Luck if you need any help with the game shoot me a PM.

JTS97Z28 03-27-2012 11:10 AM

If you live in a big metro area IMO the best way to do it is all via email and let the dealer battle it out for your business. In the Chicago area here we have who knows probably 40+ dealerships. Email one dealership and say this dealership will do this price and if you can beat that you have my business. Its nice because you dont have to go anywhere and dont have to talk to anyone!!! I did this method and worked out great turned out I got the best deal in the entire area from the Jeep dealership 3 miles from my house :-)

sined240 03-27-2012 11:48 AM

Also know what incentives you qualify for and work that into the deal.