Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Cross-Post from CTS-V board...hope Chryco is paying attention. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/cross-post-from-cts-v-board-hope-chryco-is-paying-attention-39866.html)

P-Dawger 03-27-2012 04:10 PM

Cross-Post from CTS-V board...hope Chryco is paying attention.

Pretty funny when I see posts about 2 cars that I am shopping and the poster hits the nail on the head with each...

"Thursday was a beautiful day in Central Texas so I went out cruising. I saw an SRT Charger Super Bee (Black and Yellow) at the local CDJ dealership so I went in to check it out. Then I saw a black 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee. This was the first one I had seen in person.

I came to the CTS-V from a an SRT and, in many ways, I miss it. My Jeep was totalled just before the 2012 was released. However, between the price of the Jeep and the less than expected performance numbers and the uncertain release dates, I decided to get a V.

I was just going to "eyeball" the Jeep. I must admit, I liked it much more in person than I did in pics. I was surprised when a friend, who is the Sales Manager for the dealership, offered me a dive. Of course, I took him up.

My first impression was I really miss the sound of the hemi. It is just so "old school". I also really liked the hard shifts when the jeep was in "track mode". The paddle shifters were much more fun than those on the V. I thought Jeep's decision to not use the 8 speed was an issue but, now, I don't. The vehicle is also very nice inside. The quality of this vehicle is waaayyy better than the old Jeep. With "only" 480 HP, there are few things in this world that launch like an SRT Jeep. I think that is what I miss most about the Jeep. I also found I was a little more comfortable in the Jeep than my V but I'm a big boy (5-11, 300#).

All that said, it still is not all that great looking. I like it better than I thought I would but it is nothing like the V. While I was looking at the Jeep, half the sales staff were drooling over my V. Also, aside from the launch, the 60-100, 30-70 runs were NOTHING like the V. The Jeep also sits way too high, even for an SUV. That thing needs lowering in the worst kind of way. Bigger wheels (22"), lower profile tires and lowering springs would really help the looks. As I walked around the Jeep, I found myself thinking of visual mods to do immediately. Most were things I would do to fix "design flaws" I really disliked. The antiquated "head unit" for the stereo/nav is also a big problem. why Chrysler didn't put the same new set up they use in the Charger and 300 in the Jeep is a mystery to me. The old unit is tiny and looks dated. Even though my friend has offered me the Jeep at his cost (invoice less holdback) if I ordered one, I don't think I will spend $60K on a ride I would immediately spend $10K visually modding. On top of that, the ECM has not been hacked, so doing any serious power adders is not really an option yet.

I think I'll hang with the V for awhile. Its another beautiful day here so I think I'll go wash the V and take her out for a good beating."

Anyway I thought these were good points and if there was another 60-90hp I think some of the current shortcomings could be overlooked, much like the long in the tooth design and interior of the CTS-V are overlooked with 556hp and brutal performance.

So Giles give us a real NAV screen, performance pack option from the factory for better handling, lower stance beefier sways, more hp via SC, 8 speed tranny with real paddle shifters...with this or at least some of this...nobody would care about hacking your ECM...

jgc4ever 03-27-2012 05:11 PM

Re: Cross-Post from CTS-V board...hope Chryco is paying attention.

Jeep/SRT is making 2013 Grand Cherokee SRT8 SP - per Milous. I don't know what that will be though.

Scottina06 03-27-2012 07:49 PM

in 2014 the SRT8 and the 5.7 will get the 8 speed ZF along with the new architecture for the newest radio/nav systems

Scottina06 03-27-2012 08:02 PM

there is more info that i cant reveal at the moment....

Kadonny 03-28-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Dawger (Post 601789)
Pretty funny when I see posts about 2 cars that I am shopping and the poster hits the nail on the head with each...

"Thursday was a beautiful day in Central Texas so I went out cruising. I saw an SRT Charger Super Bee (Black and Yellow) at the local CDJ dealership so I went in to check it out. Then I saw a black 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee. This was the first one I had seen in person.

I came to the CTS-V from a an SRT and, in many ways, I miss it. My Jeep was totalled just before the 2012 was released. However, between the price of the Jeep and the less than expected performance numbers and the uncertain release dates, I decided to get a V.

I was just going to "eyeball" the Jeep. I must admit, I liked it much more in person than I did in pics. I was surprised when a friend, who is the Sales Manager for the dealership, offered me a dive. Of course, I took him up.

My first impression was I really miss the sound of the hemi. It is just so "old school". I also really liked the hard shifts when the jeep was in "track mode". The paddle shifters were much more fun than those on the V. I thought Jeep's decision to not use the 8 speed was an issue but, now, I don't. The vehicle is also very nice inside. The quality of this vehicle is waaayyy better than the old Jeep. With "only" 480 HP, there are few things in this world that launch like an SRT Jeep. I think that is what I miss most about the Jeep. I also found I was a little more comfortable in the Jeep than my V but I'm a big boy (5-11, 300#).

All that said, it still is not all that great looking. I like it better than I thought I would but it is nothing like the V. While I was looking at the Jeep, half the sales staff were drooling over my V. Also, aside from the launch, the 60-100, 30-70 runs were NOTHING like the V. The Jeep also sits way too high, even for an SUV. That thing needs lowering in the worst kind of way. Bigger wheels (22"), lower profile tires and lowering springs would really help the looks. As I walked around the Jeep, I found myself thinking of visual mods to do immediately. Most were things I would do to fix "design flaws" I really disliked. The antiquated "head unit" for the stereo/nav is also a big problem. why Chrysler didn't put the same new set up they use in the Charger and 300 in the Jeep is a mystery to me. The old unit is tiny and looks dated. Even though my friend has offered me the Jeep at his cost (invoice less holdback) if I ordered one, I don't think I will spend $60K on a ride I would immediately spend $10K visually modding. On top of that, the ECM has not been hacked, so doing any serious power adders is not really an option yet.

I think I'll hang with the V for awhile. Its another beautiful day here so I think I'll go wash the V and take her out for a good beating."

Anyway I thought these were good points and if there was another 60-90hp I think some of the current shortcomings could be overlooked, much like the long in the tooth design and interior of the CTS-V are overlooked with 556hp and brutal performance.

So Giles give us a real NAV screen, performance pack option from the factory for better handling, lower stance beefier sways, more hp via SC, 8 speed tranny with real paddle shifters...with this or at least some of this...nobody would care about hacking your ECM...

I just came out of a 09 V for the SRT8. There are positives and negatives to both. The V always bothered me with the supercharger rattle and the automatic throttle stutter, not to mention the crappy paddle shifters, but after driving both I can appreciate the Vs 6 speed transmission. It's heads and shoulders above the SRT, so much smoother and quicker on shifts, even in sport mode. That being said, the SRTs sound is heads and shoulders above the V, not even close. You can't compare performance, but I'm happy with the SRT and how it performs for an SUV. I just wish we could unlock the tuning already because the SRT really needs a tune, badly.

I miss the V some days, but the SRT is way more practical for me. Someday I'll probably get back to the V, it was such an awesome performer and looker. I don't get near the looks in the SRT that I got in the V.

nosmoke 03-28-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadonny (Post 602278)
I miss the V some days, but the SRT is way more practical for me. Someday I'll probably get back to the V, it was such an awesome performer and looker. I don't get near the looks in the SRT that I got in the V.

Really? People think the V is better looking than the Jeep? I think the V is fugly. Great performer, and I looked at the Vagon, but great looking? Not to me. At all.

Scottina06 03-28-2012 05:22 PM

I agree.....looks like my grandmas caddy with a cheap japenese body kit....

sent from my HTC EVO

MikeD 03-28-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 602630)
I agree.....looks like my grandmas caddy with a cheap japenese body kit....

sent from my HTC EVO

That's like saying the Jeep is a mommy SUV with a body kit...stupid.

Scottina06 03-28-2012 10:27 PM

I dotn care what you think Im saying. The CTS-V has goofy looking bumpers and lines just like thsoe cheap japanese bumper kits.....stupid

Kadonny 03-29-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosmoke (Post 602626)
Really? People think the V is better looking than the Jeep? I think the V is fugly. Great performer, and I looked at the Vagon, but great looking? Not to me. At all.

Really x 100. I could be sitting at a light and people would be craning their necks to look at it. It was astonishing. I couldn't tell you the number of times someone would walk up to me and ask "is that the Caddy with the Corvette engine in it?" I would just laugh, and say yeah, sort of.

Multiple times I have walked out of a store and people are just standing there staring at it pointing at it or doing a walkaround. A few months ago I came out of a grocery store and two older men were peeking in the windows and talking, they were quite surprised when I walked up to the car. We chatted for 10 minutes about it or so. I've never seen anything like it. I've owned 3 V cars and that 09 got the most looks by far.

You can call it what you want, but everyone I have ever talked too commented on how beautiful the car was. It too looks soooo much better with tint on it. I just saw a Vagon in the wild and I'll admit I was not crazy about it, but the sedan and coupe to me are just stunning.

Here is a pic with the tint, if this is "goofy" looking, you need glasses.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/6...00f25512_b.jpg

P-Dawger 03-29-2012 01:06 PM

I completely agree with this - I test drove the sedan during a lunch break - I was in the car for maybe 40 minutes and the number of people staring was pretty funny in tha small time frame - Thunder Grey was the color with yellow calipers - stunning.

I think the wagon is cool - just cuz you don't see them hardly at all. I would def drive one. Again the issue is - what is coming out next...at the end of the model cycle.

Kadonny 03-29-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Dawger (Post 603238)
I completely agree with this - I test drove the sedan during a lunch break - I was in the car for maybe 40 minutes and the number of people staring was pretty funny in tha small time frame - Thunder Grey was the color with yellow calipers - stunning.

I think the wagon is cool - just cuz you don't see them hardly at all. I would def drive one. Again the issue is - what is coming out next...at the end of the model cycle.

Yeah, what will they do next with it. I always thought if it would go AWD it would make the car much more practical for some climates, but GM has staunchly said it will never do that.

*shrugs*

It was an awesome driver. No one ever picked on you at a light, never.