Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Oil change and pressure check issues. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/oil-change-and-pressure-check-issues-39881.html)

Unholyskorn86 03-27-2012 07:18 PM

Oil change and pressure check issues.

Recently got my oil changed, with my store bought oil and filter. Also told them to replace the oil pressure check. All was well until two days later i noticed after parking it from going to my cousins house for the weekend that i am leaking oil out of the hole in the body armor and near the oil filter. Any ideas? Couldn't be anything major but they installed it wrong/lose?

Unholyskorn86 03-27-2012 07:18 PM

Re: Oil change and pressure check issues.

2005 limited 5.7L WK btw.

ChrisWk 03-27-2012 07:42 PM

Well you got the oil that drained out on to the skid plate the place did not clean it up the skid plate is under the oil filter, I took my plate off it was alot easier to change the oil filter. I got my whole garage messed up too because the dealership did not clean the pan up.

Unholyskorn86 03-27-2012 07:47 PM

This was days later. And don't they take the plate off to get to the pressure check?

Bikemobile 03-27-2012 10:41 PM

Pressure check??? What are you talking about. Mine drips for a few days after i change the filter from the little oil trough thing under the filter.

Unholyskorn86 03-27-2012 10:49 PM

2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.7L V8 OHV : Electrical-Switch & Relay : Oil Pressure Switch

Drew 03-28-2012 05:15 AM

Climb under it and see where the oil is leaking from??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmsfun 03-28-2012 08:22 AM

They either did not tighten down the filter enough or the oil filter gasket from the old filter was left stuck on the fitting. Probably just need to twist the filter a bit more and it will be fine, as a double gasket would leak pretty much oil. I've never removed the splash plate to change oil, and just wipe the drain ramp clean under the filter with a rag, and it has never left a drop afterwards.

dr.lee.baugh 03-28-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 602246)
They either did not tighten down the filter enough or the oil filter gasket from the old filter was left stuck on the fitting. Probably just need to twist the filter a bit more and it will be fine, as a double gasket would leak pretty much oil. I've never removed the splash plate to change oil, and just wipe the drain ramp clean under the filter with a rag, and it has never left a drop afterwards.

x2

You should be able to tell if the oil that is dripping down is new (nice and clean) or old (dark in colour).

If it's old, they just did a lousy job cleaning up after themselves. If it is new, they just did a lousy job in general! If you don't want to muck around under there, take it back and have them fix their mistake.

Unholyskorn86 03-28-2012 02:29 PM

Turns out it is anti-freeze not oil. Radiator cap was broken and leaking down the hoses. Thank you for all your help!

dr.lee.baugh 03-28-2012 03:01 PM

Glad you got things figured out.

And a nice simple fix too!