Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   TPMS Light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tpms-light-39898.html)

navger 03-28-2012 12:03 AM

TPMS Light

A week ago I had Sears put on Goodyear Fortera's on the 20" Overland wheels I installed. Today my tire pressure light came for no reason. I stopped at a gas station and checked all tires with a tire gauge. They were all set to 40psi. Is that too much for my tires? The label on the side of the door reads 33psi cold but that's on the stock 17" tires that I had. What do you guys recommend? Should I take it back in and have them check it out? Should I lower the psi to the mid 30s range? What could be causing the light to come on?

Thanks guys for always being so helpful.

Gerardo

carlosmp 03-28-2012 12:53 AM

Re: TPMS Light

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the recommended pressure for the 20" forteras is 36 psi. .
I don't know if the over inflation may have triggered the TPMS but I think it's worth adjusting the pressure to make sure.

navger 03-28-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosmp (Post 602152)
I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the recommended pressure for the 20" forteras is 36 psi. .
I don't know if the over inflation may have triggered the TPMS but I think it's worth adjusting the pressure to make sure.

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks a lot Carlos.

tnjeep 03-28-2012 05:44 AM

My tire light came on and the jeep chimed for one second while going down the interstate yesterday. It happened so fast that I wasn't sure what light is was till I looked in the owners manual. I have the Laredo so I don't have the psi for all 4 tires in the EVIC so I check pressure in all the tires and all was good. I was going through Knoxville with alot of interstate construction so I thought that maybe some other radio electronics interfered with my TPMS signal. Light never came back on for the 250 mile trip back home.

hammer1234 03-28-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjeep (Post 602201)
My tire light came and the jeep chimed for one second while going down the interstate yesterday. It happened so fast that I wasn't sure what light is was till I looked in the owners manual. I have the Laredo so I don't have the psi for all 4 tires in the EVIC so I check pressure in all the tires and all was good. I was going through Knoxville with alot of interstate construction so I thought that maybe some other radio electronics interfered with my TPMS signal. Light never came back on for the 250 mile trip back home.

Hmmm...we have the Laredo X and we can check the pressures on EVIC. Didn't know that wasn't standard.

Ratchet 03-28-2012 06:34 AM

navger, are you able to view your tire pressures in the EVIC? If so, do any of them have a "--" beside them?
I have the 18" wheels (32psi recommended) and had overinflated tires (40psi)upon taking delivery. No TPM warnings.

Recently, I have had to replace one of my tire pressure monitors.

navger 03-28-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 602212)
navger, are you able to view your tire pressures in the EVIC? If so, do any of them have a "--" beside them?
I have the 18" wheels (32psi recommended) and had overinflated tires (40psi)upon taking delivery. No TPM warnings.

Recently, I have had to replace one of my tire pressure monitors.

No, all the EVIC displays is an exclamation point with what looks to be a tire with low pressure. No other information is shown.

navger 03-28-2012 03:44 PM

I got new tire pressure monitors when I bought the new tires. Maybe something needs to be re-adjusted. I'm not sure exactly how the TPMS works.

Ratchet 03-28-2012 03:53 PM

So, I'm guessing you got new wheels? If so, you could have moved your tpms from your old wheels to new.

If sears actually replaced all 4 monitors (one per wheel), we would need to know if the sensors were aftermarket of straight from Mopar.

robpp 03-28-2012 03:56 PM

bring it back to sears. the aftermarket TPMS are NOT being recognized.

i would be looking for some OEMs.......

nek121328 03-28-2012 03:59 PM

It could be tire pressure, a damaged sensor(s) or incorrect sensors. Drop the pressure, see if it resets, if not then take it back to Sears.

navger 03-28-2012 04:16 PM

I doubt that they are mopar. They were bundled with the total price I paid. I'm gonna ask them when I take it back. Is it possible to use the same ones I had on my stock 17s?