Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD Towing modification (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2006-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-4wd-towing-modification-39967.html)

twilks33 03-29-2012 01:57 AM

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD Towing modification

Hi people, I was wondering if someone could answer a towing question for me. I am thinking about buying a 2006 Laredo 4WD w/4.7 V8 for towing my 18ft ski boat. It weighs about 3800 pounds (with trailer) and was wondering if a trans cooler is necessary for that weight? Also what class hitch would be recomended? Any other advice would be welcomed also. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport and had electrical problems with tail/brake lights (which I know was a common problem) and was wondering if Jeep worked out those kinks. And are there any other problems with the 06 model? Thanks for any advice/help.

01grand 03-29-2012 09:25 AM

Re: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD Towing modification

From what I know the 06's are pretty solid. The 4.7 would definitely handle towing that boat no problem. The 4.7 is rated to tow up to 6500 lbs. You would be ok with a class III hitch i believe for that weight amount, but might need class IV, check out this site for more info: http://wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm

BTW, looks like you would need a transmission cooler too. I'm guessing the jeep doesn't have the factory tow package?

I'm also going to move this thread to the WK section, hopefully more people will see it there and give you the info you need.

twilks33 03-29-2012 01:11 PM

Thanks Aaron, and yes it does not have a factory tow hitch, it has an after market cheap ball mount hitch.

Bikemobile 03-29-2012 06:34 PM

It might be a good idea to look for one with a factory hitch. It will be prewired for lights too. Im pretty sure the tow pack comes with a cooler.

Crestwood1001 03-29-2012 06:46 PM

Yea look for one with a factory hitch, my 05 4.7 has the factory hitch and it looks a lot better then the after market ones because of the way it mounts into the bumper. Also it'll be prewired for lights and a brake controller.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

snowfreak21 04-14-2012 01:15 PM

I have an 06 4.7L with the tow package and I added the brake controller (not too hard of a mod). I pull a full size all steel car hauler with a 1969 Plymouth loaded on there. All together 5500-6000lbs. It does pretty well but I wouldnt pull much more weight than that. So you should be fine pulling an 18' boat.

2005JGC 04-14-2012 09:10 PM

The mopar tow package (add on option) does not come with a cooler, the wiring is not difficult ESPECIALLY in an 06, all you do is run a jumper harness to both tail lamps and then run the bundle up to the front for power, ground and the trailer brake wire into the cabin then install 2 relays and two fuses, then drive it to your local dealer and have them turn on your trailer output in the tipm... I wouldn't run from a wk over this. If you get a mopar tow package (personally MUCH preferred, looks WAY better) make sure you get the tow package and the trim bezel (sold separately, don't know why) you have to cut the opening into the bumper then mount the trim bezel.

Also I just did a quick parts search on dealerconnect, I am seeing the same trans cooler for ALL models of the wk... every chrysler automatic trans already has a trans cooler, the only difference is likely going to be in the hemi with the hydraulic cooling fan to move more air with less hp draw.