Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   My Sick Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/my-sick-jeep-40026.html)

bigdflan2956@yahoo.com 03-30-2012 12:56 PM

My Sick Jeep

Hello Jeep Garage ;

I have a sick 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7, had trouble with over heating changed Theromstat first did not fix problem. Had shop look at it they said fan motor bad. said $1650 to change after I got off the floor he said he could put an electric fan in for about $400, had electric fan installed. it works good. BUT now the power stering pump sings like a siren as it goes through the gears he said its the way he had to reroute the power stering pump hoses. any body had this problem? and what can I do besides spending $1650. Im looking for a diagram for hooking hyd. fan hoses up.

Antonio186 03-30-2012 01:09 PM

Re: My Sick Jeep

im sort of confused. didn't your jeep come with an electric fan to begin with? i know mine did and its an 02 4.7 and he shouldnt have had to move any power steering pump hoses. there are only 2 hoses in the power steering system a high pressure side and a low pressure side. and they are no where near the fan. generally when a PS pump whines it doesnt have enough fluid going into the pump or the pump is getting ready to crap out. my guess is if he re routed the lines he could have hooked up the lines in reverse.

Frango100 03-30-2012 10:18 PM

I think from 2000 and on, the 4.7 came with a hydraulic cooling fan. This system uses the power steering pump and fluid to rotate the fan. In idle, this fan is always running with around 500rpm and when engine coolant temperatures rises, the PCM comands the cooling fan to higher rpmīs. What could fail once in a while, was the control solenoid valve on the hydraulic motor.
I couldnīt find any hydraulics schematics for the cooling fan. Is there no junkyard in your nabourhood, where you maybe could find a good working hydraulic fan?

01grand 03-30-2012 10:35 PM

I have heard replacement hydraulic fans can be hard to find and expensive. Anyway, the hoses should be as follows, 1 pressure hose from pump to fan, 1 pressure hose from fan to steering gear. Then gear output should go up to a small cooler in front of the radiator/ac condenser which then has a hose that returns to the reservoir. There is also a return line from the fan back to the reservoir. So, he would have had to cap off the extra return port at the res. and should have gotten the 99 style pressure hose that goes straight from the pump to the steering gear. My guess is he reused one of the old pressure lines and has it kinked or routed funny somehow. The hose itself should be less than $100 at any parts store, just tell them you have a 99, or look at the info for a 99 online at rock auto or napa or whatever is nearby. Also, make sure its full and has the right kind of fluid.

cheapjeep 03-30-2012 10:54 PM

Antonio you better look again. Yours is hydraulic or else somebody changed it. 2001 was the first year. As far as the noise if they plumbed the fan outlet to the fan return it shouldn't matter unless they plumbed it wrong or somehow created a restriction. The feed and return are both high pressure lines because fluid runs through the fan then to the steering box or vice versa. I can't remember which now. I do know you cant just plug them off. You have to make a loop. Check to make sure they didn't do that. How does the power steering feel?

cheapjeep 03-30-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks Aaron I couldn't remember which one had priority.

Antonio186 04-01-2012 04:50 PM

dangit you learn sumthin new every day. i didnt know that it was hydraulic i just never looked that close until today. i just assumed it was electric since it wasnt hooked up to the water pump pulley like a standard mechanical fan.