Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   More Fault Codes... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/more-fault-codes-40027.html)

Amelie 03-30-2012 01:16 PM

More Fault Codes...
 
So I was able to wrestle the WJ back from my sister and noticed the check engine light was on. I did the key cycle and got the following codes.


Scan Code

P0141:

DRB Scan Tool Display

O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Description of Diagnostic Trouble Code

Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. O2 sensor voltage greater than 3 volts for 60 to 240 seconds.


Scan Code

P0161:

DRB Scan Tool Display

O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Description of Diagnostic Trouble Code

Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. O2 sensor voltage greater than 3 volts for 60 to 240 seconds.

(Can I just fix these by replacing the sensors or will I have to replace the wiring and is it difficult?)



(I know the following are cylinder misfires and can probably be remedied with replacing the spark plugs)

P0300:

P0301:

P0302:

P0303:

01grand 03-30-2012 01:37 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
If you are getting a bad signal from the 02 sensors it could cause the misfires, but im not 100% on that. Also, with all of these showing up at once I would look for a bigger electrical problem, such as a fuse. There might also be a relay for 02 sensor heaters, this could be bad too.

Amelie 03-30-2012 02:04 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 603945)
If you are getting a bad signal from the 02 sensors it could cause the misfires, but im not 100% on that. Also, with all of these showing up at once I would look for a bigger electrical problem, such as a fuse. There might also be a relay for 02 sensor heaters, this could be bad too.

Hopefully it's just the fuse or the sensors themselves.

Maybe the all-knowing Frango can chime in :lol:

Escape 03-30-2012 02:16 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Those are all sensor 2 codes, meaning after the cats. It has no bearing on how the engine works. It only tells you if the cats are working and since they are heater circuits I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you have emissions testing. The heater circuit only helps the sensor get up to the proper operating temp faster.

Amelie 03-30-2012 02:21 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 603983)
Those are all sensor 2 codes, meaning after the cats. It has no bearing on how the engine works. It only tells you if the cats are working and since they are heater circuits I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you have emissions testing. The heater circuit only helps the sensor get up to the proper operating temp faster.

Alright cool, if that's what it is then that's a sigh of relief. :lol:

I don't think we have emission testing in WV.

TJXJWJ 03-30-2012 02:37 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
I just replaced mine a month or two ago...Factorymoparparts.com had them for the best price at the time...I'd strongly suggest AGAINST anything other than Mopar sensors. I've heard horror stories. It's a pretty cheap part and super easy to replace. Mine has 4 and I had them all replaced in an hour or so with nothing more than a wrench.

Amelie 03-30-2012 02:52 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 603996)
I just replaced mine a month or two ago...Factorymoparparts.com had them for the best price at the time...I'd strongly suggest AGAINST anything other than Mopar sensors. I've heard horror stories. It's a pretty cheap part and super easy to replace. Mine has 4 and I had them all replaced in an hour or so with nothing more than a wrench.

Alright cool, thanks for the response Tony. I had never heard of this Factorymoparparts.com before. :thumbsup:

Tony, do you remember the part # for any of them?

01grand 03-30-2012 03:09 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Ha, my bad I didn't realize they were the after cat sensors, so Escape is correct, they wouldn't effect engine performance. factorymoparparts.com loooks like they have a good price on sensors, about the same as rock auto. I have also heard stories about bad off brand sensors (espeically bosch for Jeeps) but I found out Denso makes the mopar sensors so I ordered them from rock auto (actually said denso right on the old ones).

Not sure what to tell ya about the misfires, but 4 sudden misfires popping up at the same time sounds like something more than just a spark plug, injector, or ignition coil. Could be something fouling the plugs or something in the ignition.

Frango100 03-30-2012 09:47 PM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Let me give this a try................:rolleyes:
I missed a little of what happened with your engine before, didnīt you have a problem with a headgasket or so? You say wrestling it back home, so probably the engine was really misfiring. 3 cylinders in a row with a misfire, i would at least remove the plugs and see how they look like. Any strange coloration or even if they are wet, could give an idea on whats going on. I red once a similar problem (at least what i remember from it), where the problem was due to wear on the camshaft position sensor drive, causing it to fire at the wrong times.
Regarding the O2 sensors, there is a relay for the downstream O2 sensors in the PDC. Bosch O2 sensors themselves are not bad at all, but the heating is too slow to use it in a jeep, the PCM will tell you that the sensor(s) is(are) bad. For that reason use only MOPAR or Denso.

Amelie 03-31-2012 03:23 AM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 604265)
Let me give this a try................:rolleyes:
I missed a little of what happened with your engine before, didnīt you have a problem with a headgasket or so? You say wrestling it back home, so probably the engine was really misfiring. 3 cylinders in a row with a misfire, i would at least remove the plugs and see how they look like. Any strange coloration or even if they are wet, could give an idea on whats going on. I red once a similar problem (at least what i remember from it), where the problem was due to wear on the camshaft position sensor drive, causing it to fire at the wrong times.
Regarding the O2 sensors, there is a relay for the downstream O2 sensors in the PDC. Bosch O2 sensors themselves are not bad at all, but the heating is too slow to use it in a jeep, the PCM will tell you that the sensor(s) is(are) bad. For that reason use only MOPAR or Denso.

Thanks Frank. We had a scare before and thought that the head-gasket was ruined but it wasn't thankfully. I mean wrestling it back from a family member :lol: not like wrestling as a struggle to get it home. It seems to run fine but I've noticed it gives me the warning chime when I tend to get up near 50 M.P.H.

Frango100 03-31-2012 08:18 AM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Did you clear the fault codes and see if they come back? And which warning chime are you talking about? Did the "check gages" lt come on? Donīt think that the chime will sound for the check engine lt, but not 100% sure on that.

Amelie 03-31-2012 08:43 AM

Re: More Fault Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 604444)
Did you clear the fault codes and see if they come back? And which warning chime are you talking about? Did the "check gages" lt come on? Donīt think that the chime will sound for the check engine lt, but not 100% sure on that.

No I haven't tried to clear the fault codes. Yes the exact chime is the "check guages" warning.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community