Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Advice needed.. V6 or V8? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/advice-needed-v6-or-v8-40055.html)

Alesasso91 03-31-2012 03:00 AM

Advice needed.. V6 or V8?

My first post... Was looking to purchase a 2012 wk2 Laredo or limited not to sure yet.. My main dilemma is whether to purchase the v6 or go with the v8? I know it's mostly preference and I'm leading towards the v8.. But from your guys' experience/research what seems to be the better bet? Less problems? Better resale value? Is the v6 too underpowered? Is the v8 too good not to get?

Thanks in advance.. And trust me everyone's input will be greatly appreciated...

4whljunkie89 03-31-2012 03:46 AM

Re: Advice needed.. V6 or V8?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alesasso91 (Post 604367)
My first post... Was looking to purchase a 2012 wk2 Laredo or limited not to sure yet.. My main dilemma is whether to purchase the v6 or go with the v8? I know it's mostly preference and I'm leading towards the v8.. But from your guys' experience/research what seems to be the better bet? Less problems? Better resale value? Is the v6 too underpowered? Is the v8 too good not to get?

Thanks in advance.. And trust me everyone's input will be greatly appreciated...

its complete preference. if your looking to tow depending on the weight the v8 is a good option, if your just planning on it being used for everyday driving and commuting, the v6 is a great option. I opted for the v6 and i will also be towing with it. i just figured i didnt need the 360 hp of the hemi and i didnt want to take the mild hit on fuel economy... the 2011 model year wk2 had from what i read alot of issues but it seems to me that alot of the bugs have been worked out. maybe somebody will give there 2 cents bout the hemi, from what i have heard its a great engine, but so is the v6. what other options are you planning on getting with it?

Jdsmitty10 03-31-2012 06:00 AM

My v6 has plenty of power and I haven't even worked it yet since it only has 110 miles on it. But it depends on what you plan to do with it. If I were going to tow alot I woulda went hemi

tnjeep 03-31-2012 06:05 AM

Plenty of threads on this, just do a search.

GCMaxSteel 03-31-2012 06:13 AM

I have both (wife has a a GCv6 2011 and I have a GCv8 2012) and the difference in fuel economy is huge. The V6 has all the power you need for everyday driving and most towing. I'm averaging 14 mpg with the v8 my wife is averaging 18mpg with her v6.
The pantastar engin has been getting very good reviews too. But if you want/need more power then by all means go for the v8.

ColdCase 03-31-2012 08:20 AM

If you want or need the ultimate 4 wheel drive system, the Quadra drive is only available with the V8. But some say the V6 doesn't have the power to spin the wheels anyway, so you may not miss it.

If you drive cross country where there are plenty of hills, the V8 will be a lot happier than the V6.

Besides the little production snafu where castings were left in the V6 blocks, both engines seem to be reliable, but the V6 has been out there only a couple years.

The engin compartment looks so empty with a V6, the V8 sounds better. You get dual exhausts with the V8... costs a lot more money up front and to run, however.

So, unless you really need the power of the V8 for mudding, rock climbing, towing heavy, its a preference thing. Certainly not underpowered with the V6.

4whljunkie89 03-31-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 604445)
If you want or need the ultimate 4 wheel drive system, the Quadra drive is only available with the V8. But some say the V6 doesn't have the power to spin the wheels anyway, so you may not miss it.

If you drive cross country where there are plenty of hills, the V8 will be a lot happier than the V6.

Besides the little production snafu where castings were left in the V6 blocks, both engines seem to be reliable, but the V6 has been out there only a couple years.

The engin compartment looks so empty with a V6, the V8 sounds better. You get dual exhausts with the V8... costs a lot more money up front and to run, however.

So, unless you really need the power of the V8 for mudding, rock climbing, towing heavy, its a preference thing. Certainly not underpowered with the V6.

:thumbsup:Coldcase said it prefect

JTS97Z28 03-31-2012 09:09 AM

I will say this. I was also in the same situation and have always been into performance so I was thinking Hemi as well. Long story short I now own a 2012 Overland V6 and im actually very happy with my decision. I used to always bash the V6, but in the end it really only made sense. I do not tow, I do not offroad, I simply use it as my normal everyday commuter. After getting more time behind the wheel of the V6, I am actually pleased with the power, and so far havent ever felt I needed more power while driving it. My Jeep still has less than 700 miles on it, and my EVIC is already saying im getting 19.7mpg and thats without ever touching a highway.

I guess this is what it comes down to. If you need to tow or offroad, then the V8 would be the better choice. If all you really do is drive normally like the majority then the V6 will absolutely be plenty.
The main reasoning behind me getting the V6 was fuel economy and cost. Yes I know the difference isnt earth shattering between the two motors, but it certainly is better with the V6. That along with the V6 being a regular 87 octane burner, my decision was for the V6.
Last but not least, fuel prices are never going to be cheap again, so I also wanted to think about the future. Did I want to be stuck with a big thirsty mid grade burning engine when fuel prices go even higher? Nope. I think when fuel prices are at $5.50 a gallon and it costs drivers $150+ to fill up their Jeep, it will certainly be easier to sell the V6.

JeepLaw 03-31-2012 09:49 AM

V6 here - I have 24000 miles on ours - my wife drives daily commute in it and gets about 19, depending on traffic conditions. We have towed with it, not heavy trailers, but no issues. I test drove the v8 and the power was great, but in the end I am very happy with the V6- no issues passing on highway or anything I can think of regarding power. Just anecdotal evidence, so take for what it is worth. When you compare them side by side - or rather one after the other in test drives, the V8 really impresses with how much more power it has, but having owned the V6 for 24000 miles I have never been in a position where I felt I needed the V8. Now that probably wouldn't be true if I was towing a huge boat, for instance, but if you have to do that regularly, you probably shouldn't be looking at this vehicle anyway. Good Luck!

SW03ES 03-31-2012 09:51 AM

To me, towing is the only reason I would consider the V8.

I think in the modern world, with the cost of fuel being what it is, the V8's days are numbered. Like JTS said above me, I think the V6 will be easier to sell down the line too.

penzly 03-31-2012 10:08 AM

Needless to say, everyone thinks their own choice was the right one. And they are right. I bought the 6 and will tow 4500 lbs maybe 6-8 times a year. The V6 can handle it, but I will probably wish I had the 8 everytime. On the other hand, I think the V6 is the right choice 357 days a year.

echostate 03-31-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCMaxSteel (Post 604393)
I have both (wife has a a GCv6 2011 and I have a GCv8 2012) and the difference in fuel economy is huge. The V6 has all the power you need for everyday driving and most towing. I'm averaging 14 mpg with the v8 my wife is averaging 18mpg with her v6.
The pantastar engin has been getting very good reviews too. But if you want/need more power then by all means go for the v8.

Nice to see some opinion from an owner of both v6 and v8 ... :thumbsup: