Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Armrest USB Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/armrest-usb-question-40064.html)

neilattack 03-31-2012 06:54 AM

Armrest USB Question

Is there a way to simply use the armrest USB port for power but NOT as an aux input? In other words, is there a setting to turn it off?

I typically connect my iPhone to the HU (430n) via BT and it functions flawlessly, but on long trips, I would like to plug it in to charge. I have tried connecting my phone using the armrest USB while streaming via BT, and the USB always overrides the BT connection. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

arvindm 03-31-2012 07:27 AM

Re: Armrest USB Question

You cannot override the USB port. But you can put a USB adapter in the power outlet (Yes there is one inside the armrest) and connect the ipod to USB in the power outlet and let the bluetooth stream music while you charge the Iphone. Thats what I have done but I use a dedicated Ipod touch for music that I never take out unless I want to update it.

shamus 03-31-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvindm (Post 604402)
You cannot override the USB port. But you can put a USB adapter in the power outlet (Yes there is one inside the armrest) and connect the ipod to USB in the power outlet and let the bluetooth stream music while you charge the Iphone. Thats what I have done but I use a dedicated Ipod touch for music that I never take out unless I want to update it.

that's what I do, but I use the power outlet in the enclosed compartment under the radio.

neilattack 03-31-2012 02:46 PM

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and use the power outlet then. :(

Thanks for confirming.

ColdCase 03-31-2012 03:28 PM

I believe you can get a power only dock cable. Since it won't have the USB connections, you should be able to use the phone BT function and charge at the same time. But I dunno for sure. Something to think about perhaps.

Mongoose9400 03-31-2012 03:47 PM

After its plugged in the usb select your aux menu, then devices, and then click Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

neilattack 03-31-2012 04:26 PM

I have never heard of one, but I will look into a power only USB cable.

Regarding switching it back to BT, I've tried this and I get a message that says the device is no longer available and I'm forced to use USB.

ColdCase 03-31-2012 04:32 PM

Expensive, but something like this $25 adapter may work. Just don't attach the data cable, power only

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

You may want to contact them for a cable only solution.

I just use the power socket lower in the center console, like others here mention. That outlet is always hot.

Mongoose9400 03-31-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilattack (Post 604704)

Regarding switching it back to BT, I've tried this and I get a message that says the device is no longer available and I'm forced to use USB.

Gotcha. That works on the 730 in my WK2 SRT8

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Ashton 04-01-2012 09:49 AM

I've done the same thing as arvindm. I plug in my iPhone 4s, it switches to AUX-USB. I just press AUX and choose Bluetooth instead. Works well.

FPTMARION 04-01-2012 12:03 PM

USB Where inside the ARMrest on a 2012 jeep liberty jet ? Can't find one

Andrew Klossner 04-02-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 604684)
I believe you can get a power only dock cable.

It might not work. The USB standard encourages a host port (the head unit in this case) to supply only a meager amount of current until it has established a data connection and identified the device. Some systems just go ahead and route full power to the port. I don't know what the 430n does.