Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Fast Fill pumps (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/fast-fill-pumps-40095.html)

John47 04-01-2012 12:19 AM

Fast Fill pumps

Currently away with the van on our first trip and immediately discovered that I can't fit a fast fill nozzle (the ones on the big hoses truckies use) down the fill spout.
Big disadvantage as now I have to get into the service station apron with the van on the back.
Has anyone found the same issue or solved the problem??

Mendo 04-01-2012 12:53 AM

Re: Fast Fill pumps

Yes John, same problem, No resolution just glad it's not 180 litres....

Deserthucker 04-01-2012 04:53 AM

Coat hanger or fencing wire down the spout to hold open the little flapper.
Then tie it under the tow bar for next time.

John47 04-01-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 604918)
Coat hanger or fencing wire down the spout to hold open the little flapper.
Then tie it under the tow bar for next time.

I can't fit the nozzle down the neck....... - wot little flapper??

Deserthucker 04-01-2012 11:28 PM

Look down the filler neck of your tank there is a little flap. Hold it open then hold the nozzle up to it and poor it in, hard to explain. Need two hands to hold the bowser hand piece (filler nozzle) and just line it up to the tank neck and squeeze slowly. If the little flap in the tank is closed it will spray all over you.
I have the same problem with my old JGC diesel all the pumps on mines are high flow and don't fit.

scarps 04-02-2012 03:45 AM

Good old Aussie ingenuity. Always a solution to every challenge:-)

savvas 04-02-2012 04:48 AM

That's true outback ingenuity

John47 04-02-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 605399)
Look down the filler neck of your tank there is a little flap. Hold it open then hold the nozzle up to it and poor it in, hard to explain. Need two hands to hold the bowser hand piece (filler nozzle) and just line it up to the tank neck and squeeze slowly. If the little flap in the tank is closed it will spray all over you.
I have the same problem with my old JGC diesel all the pumps on mines are high flow and don't fit.

Ok - I understand the process.....might get hold of a plastic raincoat and rubber gloves and give it a try - not that i'm a woos mind you.
It's just I won't be allowed in the new truck with diesel on me if I get the technique wrong.
Our old Patrol would accept the big nozzle down the neck of both the main and sub tank and the flexibility to fill at any pump is the only thing so far that I miss.

Deserthucker 04-03-2012 04:17 AM

In the last couple of years here, they have refitted the nozzles to a slightly smaller one. still high speed but with a little wiggling it fits in. Here the roadhouse has 2 types one that will fit with a wiggle and the other needs a 3" opening to use. (have not seen a car with that size filler)
Low ash (or is it low sulphur) diesel use to be only out of the smaller nozzles.
Now all fuel in AUS is low ash no need for the smaller filler.
The new tank fillers are smaller so the old high ash fuel could not be put in.

Beerenton 04-03-2012 04:43 AM

My diesel Ford Mondeo has the narrow opening, but it comes with an adapter that opens the flap and also accepts the hi-flow nozzle. It's buried under the spare wheel and I don't think I've ever even seen it, but it could be worth investigating.

If my WK2 ever boards a boat and arrives, I'll test it out and report back :)

AussieWK2 04-10-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 606065)
In the last couple of years here, they have refitted the nozzles to a slightly smaller one. still high speed but with a little wiggling it fits in. Here the roadhouse has 2 types one that will fit with a wiggle and the other needs a 3" opening to use. (have not seen a car with that size filler)
Low ash (or is it low sulphur) diesel use to be only out of the smaller nozzles.
Now all fuel in AUS is low ash no need for the smaller filler.
The new tank fillers are smaller so the old high ash fuel could not be put in.

My CRD is my first diesel "car" and has only ever used Caltex Vortex. Do the truck bowsers run Vortex also?