Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   ABS Light... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/abs-light-40117.html)

Martyp 04-01-2012 02:24 PM

ABS Light...

Yesterday was really the first time I drove the Jeep in about 3 months.

I got to the end of the street, then the BRAKE + ABS light came on and remained on for the trip - approx. 4 miles just to grab some pics and back home. This morning out of curiosity I drove the Jeep (~1 mile), ABS + BRAKE lights were still on.

Then after starting the Jeep again to head home it went off, but when I went to turn around in the street I hit the brakes and it felt like ABS was kicking in (~10mph). Turned round and drove a few yards and this time only the ABS light came on. :rolleyes:

Restarted it again this evening and both BRAKE and ABS lights are on.

Just looking for any ideas, I've had a look on Google and it looks like it might be a speed sensor. Checked the connections tonight and they are all fine and every plug in the engine bay is reconnected - fluid is also fine. Also the brakes feel fine with either light(s) on.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

01grand 04-01-2012 03:10 PM

Re: ABS Light...

You will need a code reader capable of reading ABS codes, not all scanners can do this. I had a similar issue, the lights would come on but braking seemed ok. Turned out the code was for the right front wheel speed sensor. By the time the part showed up at the door the code was gone, hasn't come back since. My thoughts are that there was some dirt or grease on the sensor or tone ring, and after a while it fell off and things returned to normal again.

StoneCold 04-01-2012 03:22 PM

I remember a work colleague having the same issue. Turned out to be dirt on the sensor, thus it couldn't read the notches or whatever it does properly. Of course the garage only discovered this after he'd spent 1500 on a new abs unit plus labour!

01grand 04-01-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 605167)
I remember a work colleague having the same issue. Turned out to be dirt on the sensor, thus it couldn't read the notches or whatever it does properly. Of course the garage only discovered this after he'd spent 1500 on a new abs unit plus labour!

:eek:Yikes! Why didn't the shop read the code, it will tell you which sensor is the problem? Either way, check the sensors first for sure!

StoneCold 04-01-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 605184)
:eek:Yikes! Why didn't the shop read the code, it will tell you which sensor is the problem? Either way, check the sensors first for sure!

Don't ask! Lol

Martyp 04-02-2012 11:39 AM

Looks like I'll be making a diagnostic appointment with the dealer then... :thumbsup:

StoneCold 04-02-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyp (Post 605626)
Looks like I'll be making a diagnostic appointment with the dealer then... :thumbsup:

Nooooooo! Go to your local garage, they should be able to do it and be half the price

01grand 04-02-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 605652)
Nooooooo! Go to your local garage, they should be able to do it and be half the price

:thumbsup:

Martyp 04-03-2012 11:33 AM

Just dropped by the local shop on the way home tonight, booked in for next Wednesday - they aren't sure if they will be able to pull the code or talk to the truck tho... Here's hoping!

01grand 04-03-2012 11:40 AM

They should definitely be able to pull the code, my $150 actron 9580 did... My favorite tool for working on any OBDII vehicle.

Martyp 04-17-2012 12:13 PM

Just to update this thread, they read the ABS module and the code was with the O/S/F wheel sensor.

Today they fitted the new sensor and the lights are off. Cost me 200 bucks though, maybe not bad including diag/sensor/labour but damn. :eek: :(

01grand 04-17-2012 02:15 PM

Diag and labor must be most of that, unless parts are that much more expensive in the UK. My sensor cost $40 shipped from rockauto. If its anything like here though diagnostics are $50-100.

Good to hear its fixed! :thumbsup: