Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Push to Start vs. Key Fob? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/push-to-start-vs-key-fob-40160.html)

ColoradoJeep 04-02-2012 10:05 AM

Push to Start vs. Key Fob?

With my new 2012 GC LTD, we are also new to the issue of "push button" to start vs. the key fob.

One can pry out the button and use the fob as a key, but how does the "on/off" 2 positions of the push button compare with the traditional 4-position "off/on/accessories/start".

What if you just want to sit and listen to radio for a while without starting the engine? Don't see an answer in the manual.

ColinIllinois 04-02-2012 10:12 AM

Re: Push to Start vs. Key Fob?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 605566)
With my new 2012 GC LTD, we are also new to the issue of "push button" to start vs. the key fob.

One can pry out the button and use the fob as a key, but how does the "on/off" 2 positions of the push button compare with the traditional 4-position "off/on/accessories/start".

What if you just want to sit and listen to radio for a while without starting the engine? Don't see an answer in the manual.

If you want to turn on the radio just press the start button once without having your foot on the brake.

From the Owners Manual:

Keyless Enter-N-Go Functions – With Driver’s Foot
OFF The Brake Pedal (In PARK Or NEUTRAL
Position)
The Keyless Enter-N-Go feature operates similar to an
ignition switch. It has four positions, OFF, ACC, RUN
and START. To change the ignition switch positions
without starting the vehicle and use the accessories
follow these steps.
• Starting with the ignition switch in the OFF position:
• Press the ENGINE START/STOP button once to
change the ignition switch to the ACC position (EVIC
displays “IGNITION MODE ACCESSORY”),
• Press the ENGINE START/STOP button a second time
to change the ignition switch to the RUN position
(EVIC displays “IGNITION MODE RUN”),
• Press the ENGINE START/STOP button a third time
to return the ignition switch to the OFF position (EVIC
displays “IGNITION MODE OFF”).

ColoradoJeep 04-02-2012 05:20 PM

Thanks! DUH, Guess I should have spent more withe guide!

AAAA 04-02-2012 06:18 PM

It's my first push button vehicle too, though I drove my friend's Audi A8L frequently.
"A luxury once enjoyed becomes a necessity." Or something like that!

JTS97Z28 04-02-2012 07:59 PM

I love everything about push button start systems and keyless access systems. The only thing that I wish was different and im just being picky, is that I wish you can use accessory mode, then go right to off without having to turn the ignition on then right off again. With normal keyed systems say if you want to listen to music in your car for a few minutes then turn it right back off without turning the ignition on you can. Not a big deal either way, but would be nice to use accessory mode then be able to go directly to off instead of "on" first.

ColinIllinois 04-03-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 605920)
I love everything about push button start systems and keyless access systems. The only thing that I wish was different and im just being picky, is that I wish you can use accessory mode, then go right to off without having to turn the ignition on then right off again. With normal keyed systems say if you want to listen to music in your car for a few minutes then turn it right back off without turning the ignition on you can. Not a big deal either way, but would be nice to use accessory mode then be able to go directly to off instead of "on" first.

Yea, that's kind of picky. All you need to do from ACC is press the button twice and it's off. No biggie. :D

JTS97Z28 04-03-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinIllinois (Post 606099)
Yea, that's kind of picky. All you need to do from ACC is press the button twice and it's off. No biggie. :D

Yes I know thats all I have to do and its not that im lazy or anything, the main reason is I would prefer not to have to have all the cars systems power up then immediately go off. Im sure it makes no difference, but I guess im just weird lol.