Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Catch Can Results (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/catch-can-results-40162.html)

Dnizzle80 04-02-2012 10:27 AM

Catch Can Results

If anyone ever doubted how effective a catch can could be (I WAS a doubter), than look at this!!! This is only after about 700 miles!!! Definitely glad I installed one of these.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4c766dfd-c545-5b75.jpg
Word to the wise: DO NOT over tighten your can, it is a B!#CH to unscrew after a while!!

jeepgcoman 04-02-2012 09:35 PM

Re: Catch Can Results

Have you installed a new PCV Valve?

08Hemi 04-02-2012 11:33 PM

Yeah it's amazing what that little guy catches...have you looked at your throttle body blade? Mine was caked with dried oil...and that was after 20k NEW miles....seems like a horrible setup without the catch can, idk why these weren't put on stock

Dnizzle80 04-03-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 605970)
Have you installed a new PCV Valve?

No I have not...was I supposed to?

Dnizzle80 04-03-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 606033)
Yeah it's amazing what that little guy catches...have you looked at your throttle body blade? Mine was caked with dried oil...and that was after 20k NEW miles....seems like a horrible setup without the catch can, idk why these weren't put on stock

I checked it out when I installed my CAI about 10k miles ago (@ 38k miles) and it was surprisingly clean! It is crazy that they weren't put in as stock but I guess that's what keeps the aftermarket business alive.

Antonio186 04-03-2012 06:11 AM

im curious about these catch cans, is the oil consumption only really an issue with the HEMI motor and not the others. most everyone i see that has one has the HEMI motor. but i dont think i have seen too many with the 4.7?

jeepgcoman 04-03-2012 01:11 PM

Antonio186, I believe the problem is mainly with the 5.7's. I don't think it would do harm to install one on the 4.7, or any engine for that matter. I know some folks with 4.7's and 3.7's have them. Maybe someone will chime in and give a report.

Dnizzle80, yes you probably should, especially if it hasn't been replaced lately. The PCV Valves are plastic with a metal piston and spring, and are, IMO, poorly constructed to begin with. The valve may move freely, but the clearances become larger and the spring loses tension. I also install my valves with the hole pointing to the rear when installed. Don't know if it does any good, but for sure it eliminates the direct path from the valve to the catch can/intake.

That's a fair amount of oil for under 1000 miles. Are you located in a drier part of the country? Usually, in the winter, people in wetter/damper climates get what many of us call, "mayonaise".....a mix of condensation and oil. YUK! A couple winters ago I did an ~800 mile trip in bad weather and filled the can with mayo. I am sure most of it was condensation though, as all returned to normal when it dried out. Under normal mixed driving conditions, I'll usually get ~1/4-1/2 in. in the bottom between 6000 mile oil change intervals.

nyc_medic 04-03-2012 03:57 PM

You are the man. I thought this was just another cool thing to have, but after seeing inside yours I'm gonna order one for sure. +rep for making me a believer.

Unholyskorn86 04-03-2012 04:01 PM

Should I be worried if my can is full after 1 oil change? it's milky crap with water on the bottom....

ekaz 04-03-2012 04:02 PM

Definitely get one. Mopar has one that they sell as well.

4.whoa 04-03-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholyskorn86 (Post 606416)
Should I be worried if my can is full after 1 oil change? it's milky crap with water on the bottom....

I usually clean it once between in warm weather and more in winter/cool weather. that "mayo" crap adds up fast!

Dnizzle80 04-03-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 606290)
Antonio186, I believe the problem is mainly with the 5.7's. I don't think it would do harm to install one on the 4.7, or any engine for that matter. I know some folks with 4.7's and 3.7's have them. Maybe someone will chime in and give a report.

Dnizzle80, yes you probably should, especially if it hasn't been replaced lately. The PCV Valves are plastic with a metal piston and spring, and are, IMO, poorly constructed to begin with. The valve may move freely, but the clearances become larger and the spring loses tension. I also install my valves with the hole pointing to the rear when installed. Don't know if it does any good, but for sure it eliminates the direct path from the valve to the catch can/intake.

That's a fair amount of oil for under 1000 miles. Are you located in a drier part of the country? Usually, in the winter, people in wetter/damper climates get what many of us call, "mayonaise".....a mix of condensation and oil. YUK! A couple winters ago I did an ~800 mile trip in bad weather and filled the can with mayo. I am sure most of it was condensation though, as all returned to normal when it dried out. Under normal mixed driving conditions, I'll usually get ~1/4-1/2 in. in the bottom between 6000 mile oil change intervals.

Thanks for the 411 on the PCV valve., I'll be sure to swap it out soon! I live in southeastern MA about an hour south of Boston. It's not very dry here at all. It rains pretty regularly. I was surprised to see that much oil in the can. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it catches much more over the next 800 miles or so. Thanks again +rep for the info!