Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   SRT headlight upgrade vs HID swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/srt-headlight-upgrade-vs-hid-swap-40163.html)

Gibbster 04-02-2012 10:31 AM

SRT headlight upgrade vs HID swap

Hey all, I've been looking for a way to improve my nighttime visibility and am looking for opinions.

I've been doing some reading on swapping out the Factory Headlights on my 05 GC Ltd for the 08 SRT OEM Projectors.

Do you think I should go for that mod or simply buy an HID kit and pop it into my Factory Headlights?

Only thing I am leery on is the glare to oncoming drivers. Don't really like blinding everyone coming toward me. Ideally I would like to have a retrofit HID Projector setup but not willing to move the coin to make that happen.

Opinions please :)

05wkguy 04-02-2012 12:02 PM

Re: SRT headlight upgrade vs HID swap

I too am not a fan of hid's in regular halogen housings. I'd say do the oem projector setup.

nyc_medic 04-02-2012 03:23 PM

Im gonna put the HID kit I bought off Frankie in mine and see how if any glare happens. I had aftermarket HID setup in my trailblazer before this truck and it wasnt bad at all.

Chaoul1 04-02-2012 04:27 PM

I'm just clarifying, but the SRT's aren't the only headlights with Projectors. They came in the 08-10 Jeeps equipped with them.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-02-2012 04:49 PM

i have an 05-07 like you and i did the upgrade! it is one of my favoride mods. at first i tried an hid kit in my halogen housings and i felt like a douchebag to other drivers so i took them out the next day and bought these online.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...pictureid=1056

2005JGC 04-03-2012 01:39 AM

Part of the problem with oem hid headlamps in rigs that didnt come with them is the level sensors that adjust the beam are not installed, so the function is not 100% of a rig that actually came with them. if you were to add some weight to the rear you would still be blinding oncoming drivers (if you ever tow a trailer). The ONLY time I get flashed is when I am on backroads out of the city in the dark, when there is NO light around everyones eyes are more sensitive to glare and even regular low beams can seem blinding at times. I have never been flashed in the city. Just make sure to aim them down, factory aim will have you blinding EVERYONE!

Amelie 04-03-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 606055)
Part of the problem with oem hid headlamps in rigs that didnt come with them is the level sensors that adjust the beam are not installed, so the function is not 100% of a rig that actually came with them. if you were to add some weight to the rear you would still be blinding oncoming drivers (if you ever tow a trailer). The ONLY time I get flashed is when I am on backroads out of the city in the dark, when there is NO light around everyones eyes are more sensitive to glare and even regular low beams can seem blinding at times. I have never been flashed in the city. Just make sure to aim them down, factory aim will have you blinding EVERYONE!

I don't think every HID equipped car comes with auto-leveling. If it does happen to bother other drivers seeing ability it really should only occur when on an incline. Outside of that just make sure they're aimed properly and you should be fine.

jerseyjeeper 04-08-2012 08:03 AM

dont forget you have to have the bumper for the headlights also. the SRT8 headlights have the 2 curves on the bottoms of the lights you need the bumper that has that also

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyjeeper (Post 609104)
dont forget you have to have the bumper for the headlights also. the SRT8 headlights have the 2 curves on the bottoms of the lights you need the bumper that has that also

There is no srt headlight...... All 08-10 bumpers have curves to fit the 08-10 headlights

JDubya 04-24-2012 11:52 AM

Either get the OEM HID headlights or retrofit a set of HID projectors

Amelie 04-25-2012 03:49 PM

^^^

What he said. :thumbsup:

ws6kid. 09-23-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 605814)
i have an 05-07 like you and i did the upgrade! it is one of my favoride mods. at first i tried an hid kit in my halogen housings and i felt like a douchebag to other drivers so i took them out the next day and bought these online.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...pictureid=1056

Thats looks great!