Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Is this safe? (Stupid electrical question) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/is-this-safe-stupid-electrical-question-40188.html)

conorm7 04-02-2012 07:37 PM

Is this safe? (Stupid electrical question)

Quick question, I'm starting to doubt my auto shop teacher's advice (HS student here). He told me it's okay to stick the (power) wire for my Daystar switches into the fuse slot and then put the fuse in, essentially holding the wire down. Is this safe? This doesn't seem very proper but he swears by it. I've seen the add-a-circuit kits, should I buy one of those instead?

Also, I needed to extend the some wires (Ground + power for some interior LED lights) so I took some left over wire from another project and spliced it in to give myself the length I needed (don't worry, this wire i spliced in was a lower gauge than the wiring they gave me) but at the connections for each I twisted the wire together and then electrical tape'd it. Should I have some sort of covers / connectors on there?

Thanks everyone.

JMLoughrey 04-02-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Is this safe? (Stupid electrical question)

I would definatly go for the add-a-fuse thing. Its an AWFUL idea to just shove wires into a fuse. Also, for something like a switch, depending what you're running, you may want to run you're own hot lead into the vehicle from the battery. Depending on the current draw of what you are wiring into the switches.

As for the wire you extended, i would reccomend using the proper gauge, the kit came with that gauge for a reason.

conorm7 04-02-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 605928)
I would definatly go for the add-a-fuse thing. Its an AWFUL idea to just shove wires into a fuse. Also, for something like a switch, depending what you're running, you may want to run you're own hot lead into the vehicle from the battery. Depending on the current draw of what you are wiring into the switches.

As for the wire you extended, i would reccomend using the proper gauge, the kit came with that gauge for a reason.

Is it alright to leave it shoved in there for another day? It's been fine like that for 2 weeks but I definitely want to fix that tomorrow after school.

Not trying to doubt your knowledge or anything, but shouldn't it be fine with thicker (The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire, right?) wiring? Wouldn't I only encounter problems if I went up a few gauges?
Thanks for your help.

jeepgcoman 04-02-2012 09:40 PM

It's really kind of a "shade tree" way of doing it. Kind of like wrapping aluminum foil around a blown fuse to make it "good" again. As JML said above, do it the right way. You'll then be happy to know it's done right and won't cause problems in the future.

2005JGC 04-02-2012 09:51 PM

in defence of your teacher, yes its not proper but it serves its purpose and isnt going to burn your car to the ground. The add a circuit is a better option but it also costs money and he may have been considering this considering he is teaching people that make no money (on average).

JMLoughrey 04-02-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conorm7 (Post 605937)
Is it alright to leave it shoved in there for another day? It's been fine like that for 2 weeks but I definitely want to fix that tomorrow after school.

Not trying to doubt your knowledge or anything, but shouldn't it be fine with thicker (The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire, right?) wiring? Wouldn't I only encounter problems if I went up a few gauges?
Thanks for your help.

brain fart on my part, read lower gauge, scumbag brain says "smaller wire" not thinking smaller gauge is larger wire. Long day at work will do that.

No worries.

Bikemobile 04-03-2012 07:33 AM

A fuse tap might be better. You want to make sure that whatever circuit you create is still protected by a fuse and not direct to DC current. Our jeeps are VERY sensitive to voltage drops and electrical loads. I would do it right and avoid the half ass fixes like shoving the wire in under the fuse.

antsjeep 04-13-2012 08:04 AM

Just get a 12v relay, an inline fuse and do it the right way.

Remember to try and ALWAYS solder your connections then cover with heat shrink or electric tape.

antsjeep 04-13-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 606100)
Our jeeps are VERY sensitive to voltage drops and electrical loads.

+1

... hense why you should use a relay to power whatever you need and not an existing circuit.

misfit77 05-04-2012 11:08 PM

Fuse add a kits would be ok for low current projects. For lights and such, use a relay and wire to the battery.