Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2012 Cherokee HVAC upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2012-cherokee-hvac-upgrade-40224.html)

Twilight_Imperium 04-03-2012 06:08 PM

2012 Cherokee HVAC upgrade

I just purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo "E". I've got a 430 RBZ radio to upgrade the 130 radio, and was wondering if I its possible to upgrade the base HVAC system to the Auto Temp Control system. I figured if I was going to pull the bezel out to upgrade the radio, i might as well upgrade the HVAC.

JTS97Z28 04-03-2012 07:06 PM

Re: 2012 Cherokee HVAC upgrade

I dont have any facts to backup my idea here, but to put it short, no its not possible. The auto climate control system has sooo much more to it than the standard unit that even if you were able to swap it in, it would cost so much and take so much time, you would be better off just trading in your Jeep for one that comes with that system.

Twilight_Imperium 04-03-2012 07:24 PM

Ahh. I found the ATC panel on several mopar parts sites for $110. I figured the control logic and PC boards were in the ATC unit an they used the same wiring harness.

LaRADo 04-03-2012 10:57 PM

I just got a 2012 laredo E as well... just curious how much was the 430 RBZ?

Twilight_Imperium 04-03-2012 11:04 PM

I got it off of ebay (yeah you can start laughing now) for $500. The guy pulled it out of his 2012 X and installed an aftermarket radio 2 weeks after he bought it. I've read here if you have the voice command stuff (auto dimming mirror) its cake to install. The only problem is the jeep doesn't recognize the different radio; you have to take it to a dealer and have the 430 RBZ added to the VIN. Some sort of new security measure for the 2012's.

padgett 04-04-2012 07:29 AM

Was the dealer willing and knowlegable ? Seems like Chrysler wants to own the car after the sale as well. I smell an opportunity here.

Twilight_Imperium 04-04-2012 10:53 AM

Dealer willing and knowledgeable? The radio/hvac upgrade will be on my own. I will have to "inquire" about adding the 430 RBZ to the vin after I'm done the install. Toughest part will be prying off a brand new bezel to install it! It would seem the Automatic Temp Control may be a no go if nobody around here has been able to do it.

Tybalt39 04-04-2012 11:09 AM

Changing from manual climate controls to automatic can (in theory) be accomplished.

Granted, my information comes from a forum dedicated to another vehicle, but my previous vehicle model had a few owners who successfully completed this mod. Besides the climate controls, the "sunload" sensor had to be added (monitors interior temperature and how it is affected by direct sunlight). Also, there were motors on the blender-door (mixes air heated by the engine cooling system with cabin air) that had to be added. And, a replacement harness for the entire HVAC system to provide for the added electronics.

Does anyone know if these new Jeeps have motorized bender-doors even with the manual controls?

If you are willing to wait a few years to do this, everything you may need could be available from a bone-yard when more of these vehicles are deemed "totaled" after being damaged. You could be a pioneer!

ernestd 04-05-2012 07:40 AM

Save yourself a ton of heartache and money.the Manual HVAC cannot be upgraded to operate as an Automatic HVAC unit.I should know as I work on an assembly line.Buy yourself a new vehicle with all of the options that you originally wanted and save yourself a lot of time and money .Cheers

Twilight_Imperium 04-05-2012 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info. And thanks for making a great vehicle! I'm very happy and impressed so far!

bry@n 04-08-2012 08:22 PM

Having the dealer update the RBZ to your vin is easy. You will have to bring it into the dealer to do.

I was charged 1 hour labor to have it done.