Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Goodyear Forteras... Any Good in Snow? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/goodyear-forteras-any-good-in-snow-40233.html)

ColoradoJeep 04-03-2012 08:31 PM

Goodyear Forteras... Any Good in Snow?

I have 20 inch Goodyear Forteras on my 2012 GC Ltd, so asking if they will be any good in snow here in Colorado?

Antonio186 04-03-2012 08:49 PM

Re: Goodyear Forteras... Any Good in Snow?

reading some of the reviews on forteras on tirerack they actually are pretty bad in the snow.

unless they are the tripple tread forteras

here are the surveys

Fortera HL

Fortera SL

Fortera TrippleTread

TheJeepSter 04-03-2012 09:52 PM

I had them... there ok, but I have had better... personal favorite michelins, but they dont make one in the "stock" 20 size.. anyway being a wider tread does not help any tire in the snow---- with a skinny (tread) tire, your pushing more weight over a smaller area = better traction...
with the wider tire, your spreading the weight across more area= less traction
thats what I was told anyway...all the plow guys I know run skinny tires during plow season for this reason

MaineJeep11 04-05-2012 05:32 PM

I have been through two winters with them and I don't think they're very good. In 4 to 5 inches of heavier snow on some dirt roads they were ok but on the highway in the finer, granular, more slippery snow I don't think they're good at all. I've had BFG, ProComp, Bridgestone, and others that have been better in same conditions. One some of the tread starts to wear down they get worse pretty quickly in my opinion.

Dabitz 04-07-2012 09:55 AM

Not to mention they are horrible on ice.

brianm929 04-11-2012 12:40 AM

First snow fall in Calgary went around a corner and slid into the curb and trashed on wheel. I went and got some Blizzaks. They are excellent!

jd2012jgc 04-11-2012 04:28 PM

The stock Forteras aren't winter tires.

All season tires are a 4-season compromise at best.

If you're looking for awesome summer performance , buy a set of dedicated summer tires. Same holds true for winter. If you want a set of tires that are designed for snow/ice/cold buy a set of winter tires.

BobsWK2 04-11-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJeepSter (Post 606628)
I had them... there ok, but I have had better... personal favorite michelins, but they dont make one in the "stock" 20 size.. anyway being a wider tread does not help any tire in the snow---- with a skinny (tread) tire, your pushing more weight over a smaller area = better traction...
with the wider tire, your spreading the weight across more area= less traction
thats what I was told anyway...all the plow guys I know run skinny tires during plow season for this reason

I received an email from Michelin saying they make the Latitude Tour HP in the GC's 20" size.

TheJeepSter 04-12-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 611389)
I received an email from Michelin saying they make the Latitude Tour HP in the GC's 20" size.

That will be sweet! Had those before..they grip the road like glue, and have little to no noise..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk