Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Smelly vehicle! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/smelly-vehicle-40238.html)

mpetuch 04-03-2012 10:13 PM

Smelly vehicle!

It rained on Sunday, and today the car smells like dead fish....wet dog, whatever you want to call it. I noticed it once before, but today it couldnt go unquestioned. Anyone else notice this after the vehicle has been driven in the rain?

Thanks,
Matt

Knightrider03m 04-03-2012 10:21 PM

Re: Smelly vehicle!

Are you sure that all of the doors was shut and all the windows are closed? Maybe there is a hole somewhere in the car :eek:

mpetuch 04-03-2012 10:34 PM

I am meticulous with the vehicle, it is never left outside and rarely driven in the rain and Sunday coming back from the SRT meet it was out in the rain. Monday I washed it, then today it sat all day at work in the sun and leaving work late tonight it stunk....

Matt

Knightrider03m 04-03-2012 10:55 PM

:confused:

I'm guessing that whatever is causing the smell has already been there and since it sat in the sun, the sun made the car heat up and made it smell again. Have you gone to the dealership?

EviL 04-03-2012 11:00 PM

hey man..

my frnd with the previous SRT had a leak somewhere in the sunroof rubbers somewhere and it leaked water there from the rain and it stained the whole interior which was really bad.

but dealership actually compensated him with a full deep clean + polish worth of 700 USD

Knightrider03m 04-03-2012 11:08 PM

^^^

that is what I am thinking. Not all moonroof leaks will show up at 1st.

bagwell 04-04-2012 09:09 AM

sunroof- its the surroundings of the glass that need to be replaced. this happens on a lot of makes, not just jeep. IMO get this replaced asap, cleaning it now is great, but if you get stuck in bad weather a few years from now, you will be in deep doo doo. after a few months, the mold accumilation will make you sick. girl friend of mine had this prob with her trailblazer. daily driver and there were leaks in the sunroof. after 6 months, she got a new car. cause this was her daily driver, the smell and headaches she got made her sick all the time. if you dont drive yours that much and its kept inside, like i said, get this looked at asap with a microscope.

YO-EL 04-22-2012 07:50 AM

My car smells strange too, but all the time..
Not the new car smell. Just unpleasant when getting into it.
I wonder if its the saddle leather seats?
Nothing to do with rain or getting wet..
Anyone?

moosehead 04-22-2012 08:10 AM

Note the 2011 WK2 had a few sunroof drain line plugging issues that resulted in water collecting in the storage compartments beneath the seats and causing wet interior carpeting. A few others had improper windshield seals. There were several threads in the WK2 forum, and also may be a TSB for the issue, cannot recall.

YO-EL 04-22-2012 12:14 PM

Mine is a 2012 Overland. Took delivery in March. Not a musty or wet smell, more like a dead fish kinda.. I wish it would smell like the "new car smell" or leather at least..

Yadkin 04-22-2012 12:51 PM

Maybe you ticked someone off at the SRT meet and they dumped something down your cowl plenum.

"Back in the day" if someone was a dick in high school we'd pee in a can, find his car in the lot and dump it down there. :slapfight:

YO-EL 04-22-2012 01:13 PM

I think Liquid Ass smells better than my car when you first get in.. :lol: