Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   painting textured bumpers/cladding (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/painting-textured-bumpers-cladding-40273.html)

fibs 04-04-2012 01:32 PM

painting textured bumpers/cladding

what do you guys use? im just worried about adhesivness with it being solid plastic and textured? im looking to go with a matte black finish

fibs 04-04-2012 01:35 PM

Re: painting textured bumpers/cladding

has anyone used a adhesion promotor?

TJXJWJ 04-04-2012 01:44 PM

99PlatinumWJ....I'd ask him...I think he did it and it came out pretty damn good.

Moparfan4Life 04-04-2012 09:30 PM

I plan on using the Krylon Fusion black satin. Ive seen some write ups on it, if you do it right and get a nice smooth lightly roughed up/prepped surface and put a couple coats on it the cladding turns out real nice, easy to touch up too if needed. I seen a Chevy Avalache with the hammered look fusion paint it looked pretty good, just has a gloss to it, staying away from glossy..

TJXJWJ 04-05-2012 06:31 AM

Nice lookin' WJ!

Moparfan4Life 04-05-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 607531)
Nice lookin' WJ!

Thanks! If that was reffering to mine!

TJXJWJ 04-05-2012 02:00 PM

I was...hahahah....wouldn't that be awkward if I wasn't?

"Oh no...yours is hideous, i was talking about that other one..."

bsmith0612 05-15-2012 01:04 AM

I had my front, rear bumpers and side cladding painted. it looks good from a distance. who i had do it didnt care that much. so it will be re-done sooner or later. but to answer your question, i got the paint code from my Jeep, went to NAPA, got crossfire paint that matched. the plastic was sanded down, washed with Summit brand surface wash (more sh!t from work...) sprayed with a flexible primer, ashesion promoter, paint (idk how many coats) then clear coat. it could have used more clear coat though. i HIGHLY suggest taking ALL of the plastic off before painting it, unless you mask it very very well. who did mine did not mask well, there is over spray all over... you can feel it when you wash or wax it... :(

mon_21 06-29-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 629662)
you can feel it when you wash or wax it... :(

Do a rubbing compound and polish on it, had the same issue with rear fenders after painting my claddings.... Not sure how much overspray you have, but mine went away after I did it.

bsmith0612 07-03-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mon_21 (Post 649685)
Do a rubbing compound and polish on it, had the same issue with rear fenders after painting my claddings.... Not sure how much overspray you have, but mine went away after I did it.

Ill have to try that! Thanks man!

I mean, you cant see it. just feel it. and i dont like it. lol

mon_21 07-03-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 651129)
Ill have to try that! Thanks man!

I mean, you cant see it. just feel it. and i dont like it. lol

Same here, couldn't tell it was there till I started waxing, felt some rough area and did tactile check with fingers and sure enough it had overspray.
It's all good now after the compound n polsh.