Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Auto dimming mirror question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/auto-dimming-mirror-question-40293.html)

Jdsmitty10 04-05-2012 06:00 AM

Auto dimming mirror question

Read in the manual you can press the button on the mirror to turn the dim feature on or off. And a light is supposed to turn on when you press it. I don't seem to see any change when I press the button. No light has turned on or off. I have not tried at night. Does it sound like mine is not working or should a light turn on or off only at night when dimming is needed?

wkluvin 04-05-2012 07:44 AM

Re: Auto dimming mirror question

Hey Smitty.

I do notice the light at the bottom of the mirror change when pressed.
HOWEVER, it is very faint and hard to notice the difference between being illuminated or not during the daytime.

ErikRP 04-05-2012 08:42 AM

It might depend on what model of WK2 you have. On the Overland with the rain sensing wipers and UConnect there is a very obvious green light by the button on the mirror. Pushing the button turns off the auto-dimming and turns off the green light.

Personally I wish it worked the other way around - that I had to turn it on for it to work.

Jdsmitty10 04-05-2012 09:46 AM

Mines a limited with rain sensing wipers and auto dim Mirrors. I don't even see where a light could be let alone see a light on. There's a button

johhn14 04-05-2012 12:00 PM

In my Overland, the light is the white graphic that is the button. It of course only is illuminated at night time (why else would the auto dim mirror be needed?). It is a little faint, but you will see it if you look for it.

Tybalt39 04-05-2012 12:06 PM

Makes sense that it would be faint/hard-to-see. After all, who wants a bright light in their eyes when looking through a rear-view mirror at night? Ruin your night-vision temporarily?

Jdsmitty10 04-05-2012 01:39 PM

I will check tonight. Gonna only b second time using it at night

Jdsmitty10 04-05-2012 09:31 PM

Just had to drive it at night to see how it works. Really like the auto headlights too..

Aiyer 04-06-2012 11:13 AM

Why did they not "auto dim" the entire driver side view mirror? I get glare from the edges and it looks ridiculous having a patch of the mirror going to "green" (auto dim). I have had cars where the entire side view mirror dims completely instead a small patch.

Cost savings? I don't think so....

Andrew Klossner 04-06-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 608299)
Why did they not "auto dim" the entire driver side view mirror?

They did in my car. Perhaps you have a defect?

jgc4ever 04-06-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 608401)
They did in my car. Perhaps you have a defect?

Your side mirrors don't have a very thin edge all the way around that's not dimmable?

Jdsmitty10 04-06-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 608419)
Your side mirrors don't have a very thin edge all the way around that's not dimmable?

Mine does. Didn't understand why but it has a "frame" of none dimmed mirror