Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Skid plate question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/skid-plate-question-40301.html)

qbny94 04-05-2012 09:36 AM

Skid plate question

Hey guys, do skid plates affect ground clearance and by how much? I have a non lifted stock WJ and i took it on the beach yesterday and ended up with a lot of sand in my undercarriage. Would skid plates interfere with beaching? Where can i find good used or relatively cheap mopar skid plates?

Thanks!

TJXJWJ 04-05-2012 10:17 AM

Re: Skid plate question

If you're just tooling around on the sand...I'm not sure skidplates are the best idea. They will just hold sand and make it more difficult for you to get under there and rinse off any sal****er.
If you're doing more serious offroading on the beach or elsewhere, then you should probably consider skids. Check out 4wd.com and quadratec for aftermarket skids. It's a good place to start at least

qbny94 04-05-2012 10:29 AM

yeah im just driving around in the sand for fun not really doing any hardcore off roading and i only plan on using my jeep for the beach no trails. I'm debating if a 2 inch lift kit would just solve my problems

01grand 04-05-2012 11:16 AM

I have the factory skids on my 01 and the front plate definitely makes maintenance more challenging. Well not really challenging, its easy enough to remove I guess obnoxious is a better word. The t-case and fuel skids are fine, but like Tony said on the beach they would just end up catching a lot of sand. If you need more ground clearance a lift and larger tires are the route you want to go. Skids would only be necessary if you are dealing with rocks very uneven terrain.

JeepMe 04-05-2012 04:47 PM

If you're only on sand, I would not get skid plates. For the simple fact that you're not going to tear anything up by scraping through sand (unless you're really trying). Skids are more for rocks to keep them from puncturing through more expensive items.

cheapjeep 04-05-2012 06:48 PM

Like the guys said if you're not worried about hitting the t case leave that one off. Mine is packed full of frozen snow all winter. and if I take it mudding it looks like an upside down swamp under there till I borrow a pressure washer.That's the only reason I leave it on is for wheeling but I think it does more harm than good in winter or on the beach.

99PlatinumWJ 04-05-2012 07:22 PM

My girlfriend got me a t-case skid from justforjeeps.com for Christmas and I think it was like $65 shipped brand new... I painted it with a few coats of truck bed coating.. I don't do serious off roading, I wanted it to protect the t-case if I decided to though...

qbny94 04-06-2012 09:54 AM

i think if anything i would just get a transfer case skid plate.. but i am planning on getting a 2 inch lift.. now i just got new all terrain tires last week size P225/75R16 will those work with a 2 inch lift? i cant get new tires since i dropped over 500$ on them last week :eek:

thanks for all your help!

TheStreet16 04-13-2012 11:30 AM

yeah those will fit. are you just doing a BB 2"?