Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Fuel Injector cleaner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/fuel-injector-cleaner-40310.html)

GrnBeltWarrior 04-05-2012 12:56 PM

Fuel Injector cleaner

As I stood in the local auto parts store I wondered which fuel injector cleaner to try in my tank. Then it dawned on me that maybe the masses in the WJ section might have a good idea of what works or what is a waste of my money.

Or perhaps having a local shop clean the fuel system is a good idea?

This isn't really driven by and problem. Just with 131k on the odometer and it found me with 129k, not sure what has been done.

GBW

01grand 04-05-2012 01:47 PM

Re: Fuel Injector cleaner

Seafoam is a good all in one cleaner to run through the fuel tank. I don't know the differences (if there are many) between other brands but unless your fuel system is bad there's no big need for a cleaning. Also, I've heard a fuel system cleaning from most shops is just them dumping in a bottle of something, maybe with a little intake cleaning to go along with it. I would definitely get a can of TB cleaner and take off the air box and clean the throttle body, opening the blade and wiping down as much as you can, pulling the TB off helps too. Also pull off the idle air controller and carefully wipe off the tip, this can help keep the idle running nice and smooth.

cheapjeep 04-05-2012 09:13 PM

^^X2 SeaFoam in the gas,SeaFoam in the oil,Seafoam everywhere:lol:

GrnBeltWarrior 04-06-2012 08:55 AM

Just so happens that Napa has seafoam on sale. 2 cans.

Thanks for the recommendation.

01grand 04-06-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrnBeltWarrior (Post 608193)
Just so happens that Napa has seafoam on sale. 2 cans.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Good to know, Its time for some seafoam in mine too I will have to check out my local napa.

JForestZ34 04-06-2012 02:36 PM

A fuel system cleaning in my shop consists of changing the fuel filter and hooking up a injector cleaning machine to the fuel rail. Cleans the injectors like new..

James

01grand 04-06-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JForestZ34 (Post 608385)
A fuel system cleaning in my shop consists of changing the fuel filter and hooking up a injector cleaning machine to the fuel rail. Cleans the injectors like new..

James

Lol I guess it depends on the shop, a friend said they didn't go that far where he worked, but it was a small private shop owned buy a moronic cheapskate so I guess thats why. That said, using quality fuel all the time should prevent most fuel system problems.

TJXJWJ 04-09-2012 09:58 AM

Seafoam...I've talked to mechanics that use it as a "upper engine cleaning" and then charge their customers some stupid amount of money. I got 2 cans at Summit racing last time I was there. One went in the gas tank, and the other was a spray. I used 1/2 the can of spray through the intake, and will do the other half next time I'm at my father's house where I can create a wall of smoke without someone thinking the house is on fire. I noticed a smoother idle. Jury's still out on any MPG benefits...it hasn't been long enough.