Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Overland Dash Stitching (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/overland-dash-stitching-40331.html)

astro13rm 04-05-2012 08:59 PM

Overland Dash Stitching

I noticed a few days after purchase that a stitch was "popped" on the dash. I took it into the dealer and the wanted to try to fix it before taking more drastic steps like replacing the dash.

I gave them the opportunity to try although I anticipated that it wouldn't work. Well, they said the "fixed" it but when I ran my finger over it lightly the stitching popped right back up (they had just tried to shove the stitch down).

I'm waiting for a call back from the service manager. I believe the next step is to try to get approval from Chrysler to replace the entire leather dash.

I truly hope this will not introduce more problems or be the beginning of new rattles. It makes me cringe a bit thinking they will be tearing the entire dash out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jgc4ever 04-05-2012 11:02 PM

Re: Overland Dash Stitching

Get a new one. Things like this are only covered under the warranty during the first 12 months of ownership.

BuckeyeSRT 04-06-2012 07:31 AM

The thing that sucks even more is can you trust your dealer not to screw something else up in the process? I had my car in yesterday to have the radio replaced. I begged them to be careful with the trim pieces(because when they replaced my steering wheel they nicked up the trim then and had to replace it). Heck, even the tech that was going to do it was right there and said "ill be careful" sure enough nick in the black wood trim. So instead of having them replace that I'm going to take a sharpie and cover it. SMH

astro13rm 04-06-2012 07:46 AM

Yah I plan to ask them for a new one. The service manager seems helpful this far. Actually I have been very impressed so far with their customer service.

I do hope they can do the replacement without breaking or damaging anything else!

Justal13 04-06-2012 09:15 AM

Personally, I would use a little fabric adhesive (from a Joann Fabric store, Target, etc). Take a fine pointed toothpick (or a small nail) and put a drop in the hole the tread goes into. The use another clean toothpick (or a fabric thread pointer - I borrow my wifes), and carefully poke the end of the tread into the hole until it looks right. Let dry for a few hours.

Your dealer made a mistake of tucking in the thread without using the adhesive, or did the repair incorrectly.

I have done this many times, even on convertible tops (using a waterproof version) and have never had the thread re-pop or unravel. I did this on my GC front seat where there was a loose thread, and you would never tell it was done. Many dealers do this on cars in stock or before delivery when detailing - very common. Personally, this type of "repair" is a better option than tearing your dash apart to replace it. The cure may be worse than the disease...

77Cherokee 04-06-2012 09:34 AM

+1. That is what they should have done. Having them pull the whole dash could bring more aggravation than it's worth.

astro13rm 04-06-2012 02:21 PM

Maybe I will give that a try then first and see how it goes. Can't really hurt, I suppose.

armoredsaint 04-06-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Cherokee (Post 608239)
+1. That is what they should have done. Having them pull the whole dash could bring more aggravation than it's worth.

Yep and it's going to rattle and never fit right sometimes. Not worth it.

astro13rm 04-06-2012 11:04 PM

Well, so far so good. I went with the glue recommendation and giving that a go. It seems to look pretty good and when I run my finger along the stitch it doesn't pop out.

Even though I shouldn't have to fix anything myself like this with such a new car I think you guys were absolutely right that replacing the dash was going to bring a lot more headache than fixing the single stitch myself.

Thanks for the advice...and let's hope the stitch holds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kennzz05 04-07-2012 04:02 AM

seems it was "a stitch in time"

that may have "saved 9" hours at the dealer :)