Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   need some ideas to put subs in.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/need-some-ideas-to-put-subs-in-40370.html)

BostonBrawler 04-06-2012 07:19 PM

need some ideas to put subs in....

so now that ive ordered my halo fogs and hid kit for them ive decided i would like to put some subs in. i have the nav screen with the boston accustics speakers. i dont know crap about subs or what else i would need so my questions range from- do i need another amp or can i connect to my stock amp? are jbl's worth the money or will i get just as much bang with a cheaper kicker or something? i would like 2 12's but i dont want a giant box taking up all my trunk space, anyone tried those panels from crutchfield that replace the side panels in the trunk?

walkin 04-07-2012 12:05 PM

Re: need some ideas to put subs in....

Why 2 12's?

Next question would be is what kind of music do you listen to and how loud do you want the bass to be? If you want it loud your either going to need a lot of power to a small sealed box or a larger ported box. From the guys i've talked with that are big on stereo's the opinion is if you listen to more rock then go with a sealed box, if you listen to more rap then go with a ported box.

you will need another amp to power the subs and a LOC (line out converter) to tie into the factory wiring. Do a search on here, there are a few write ups of installs if your looking to do it yourself.

i dont know much about JBL's but i would say JL's are worth the money. If you want something cheaper i've always had good success with AudioBahn's.

jeepster23 04-07-2012 02:23 PM

Do not waste your money on JLs that are nice but extremely overpriced. If I were you I would get 2 10 or 12 inch SSA DCONS and an Audioque AQ750 amp. This will give you a sub set up that will get as loud and low as you want as well as maintaining incredible SQ{sound quality} with great clarity and punch. All of this can be had for around $500 which is extremely reasonable.

www.soundsolutionsaudio.com

www.audioque.com

BostonBrawler 04-07-2012 06:33 PM

Thanks I appreciate the input

srt8mike84 04-25-2012 06:32 PM

I did 2 kicker 12'5 the older l5 series in a ported box with a 1000watt it sounds great!!!

Mr Chill 04-25-2012 09:03 PM

I think you may end up with way too much bass before you know it. The factory boston system has no way to keep up with a couple of twelves. The dash speakers will start distorting before the subs even begin to sing. Ive seen too many music lovers add a bunch of subwoofer to a stock system and then all they can stand to listen to is hip hop because everything else turns into a boomy mess.

That said, I bought a JL Microsub for the WK. It's two 8w3's ported in a very cargo-area-friendy box, about 10x6x30. It takes 500w rms @ 2Ohms. Im very satisfied. It nearly matches the output of my 2 10" Rockford P3's sealed on 1000w and literally takes up a third of the space.

Running any kind of amp, line out converters that have level control should be avoided. Pac-audio makes a decent one but its pricey. Ive had bad luck in the past with loc's, make sure you get a good one or you may be sending a bunch of distortion to your subs.

mcalc55 05-22-2012 09:57 AM

If I were you I would search craigslist for JLs and see what you can get. I have a 12inch W6 that I got for a steal. W7's are tough to haggle on price cause of the 'status' but the best advice would be to listen and pair it with a solid amp. Don't skimp on that part.

mcalc55 05-22-2012 09:59 AM

x2 on jeepsters 2 10 or 12 inch SSA DCONS. Although obviously be sure you want 2...

05WK 05-22-2012 12:46 PM

One bada$$ sub, 10 or 12, is better than two sh**ty subs. And less space since you'll only need one box.

Too bad you don't live in TX... We have a guy here, Toby, who has been hand making them for over 40 years. My 10 hits harder than my JL W6 v2 ever did. And that had a 3sqft L-port box!

AND they run on a speaker amp. 60watts RMS per channel @ 4 Ohms... :D

Madanio24 05-22-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 633218)
One bada$$ sub, 10 or 12, is better than two sh**ty subs. And less space since you'll only need one box.

Too bad you don't live in TX... We have a guy here, Toby, who has been hand making them for over 40 years. My 10 hits harder than my JL W6 v2 ever did. And that had a 3sqft L-port box!

AND they run on a speaker amp. 60watts RMS per channel @ 4 Ohms... :D

Im using an alpine 10 ported box connected to an old alpine mono amp which is connected to a second battery and it PUMPS!! my setup was 300

05WK 05-22-2012 11:24 PM

Love me some alpine :)

My Toby is a 10" but easily hits like a 12

Check them out here, www.Toby.com

Madanio24 05-23-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 633539)
Love me some alpine :)

My Toby is a 10" but easily hits like a 12

Check them out here, www.Toby.com