Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need to reproduce AC whistle, whine, ultra high pitch noise. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-to-reproduce-ac-whistle-whine-ultra-high-pitch-noise-40416.html)

Rendermandan 04-07-2012 07:42 PM

Need to reproduce AC whistle, whine, ultra high pitch noise.

I took my 2011 GC into the dealer to day because of a few things I wanted them to check out.

1st. was the power loss after shift into 2nd gear. There was a TSB out on this and they performed the update and it seems to drive better now.

2nd. was the Ultra High pitch noise (Hearing test high noise!) I get when the AC is on. It only happens once in a while and it only lasts for a second. I can't seem to reproduce it. Well, naturally the dealer couldn't' either, so they refused to do the TSB regarding the AC suction lines. -As soon as I left the dealership, it happened as I was pulling out...
They said, that it could be something else and if it were to continue to bring it back and leave it for a day or two so they could look at it more.
I don't have the ability to just leave my Jeep somewhere for a day or two. It's the only vehicle I have.

So how do reproduce this noise? It could be that service tech couldn't hear it. Its so high pitch that a dog would start to bark if they heard it.

Any ideas?

walterhudson 04-08-2012 12:03 AM

Re: Need to reproduce AC whistle, whine, ultra high pitch noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rendermandan (Post 608984)
I took my 2011 GC into the dealer to day because of a few things I wanted them to check out.

1st. was the power loss after shift into 2nd gear. There was a TSB out on this and they performed the update and it seems to drive better now.

2nd. was the Ultra High pitch noise (Hearing test high noise!) I get when the AC is on. It only happens once in a while and it only lasts for a second. I can't seem to reproduce it. Well, naturally the dealer couldn't' either, so they refused to do the TSB regarding the AC suction lines. -As soon as I left the dealership, it happened as I was pulling out...
They said, that it could be something else and if it were to continue to bring it back and leave it for a day or two so they could look at it more.
I don't have the ability to just leave my Jeep somewhere for a day or two. It's the only vehicle I have.

So how do reproduce this noise? It could be that service tech couldn't hear it. Its so high pitch that a dog would start to bark if they heard it.

Any ideas?

Don't worry about it. As you get older, you loose the ability to hear high pitched sounds first.

Willir2 04-08-2012 08:27 AM

I found that if I take a tech for a drive things happen. I am convinced that most Techs never leave the lot with the vehicle. So I INSIST that I take them for a ride and point out the problems, and 95% of the time they do notice it or I point it out.

I noticed that if you have it on a low setting that is when the whistle starts, like 1-2 setting on the fan.

These are the things that I have had corrected - Rear Suspension Clunk - (still there after fix), AC whistle, Gas Tank slushing, Driver seat squeak. Transmision!

wjs81866 04-09-2012 10:11 AM

There is a TSB for the HVAC noise, I had it and it went away after the TSB update.

Rendermandan 04-09-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 609722)
There is a TSB for the HVAC noise, I had it and it went away after the TSB update.

Yep, they even pulled it up and showed it to me, but they wouldn't fix it if they couldn't reproduce the problem. They said it could be something else...

I think it was just BS and they didn't want to do it.
That is why I'm stuck.

wjs81866 04-09-2012 07:37 PM

go to a different dealer

carlosmp 04-11-2012 12:45 AM

I have noticed it happens when on a low blower speed and very very light acceleration. It's a finding the right RPMs that will help you reproduce it. Sometimes I found it happened while taking my foot of the gas.