Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Running SRT chrome Rep rims in winter?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/running-srt-chrome-rep-rims-in-winter-4062.html)

TimmyB 11-15-2009 05:17 PM

Running SRT chrome Rep rims in winter??

Wondering anyones experience with the srt chrome rep rims, or any chrome rim for that matter running them thru winter in snow and all the road salt. I actually got these rims before last winter and waited to mount them because I didnt want to ruin them from snow and salt, but now that I have them on I figured i'd just keep them on since the tires I have on them are rated pretty good in snow, and the tires on my stock 17's are junk and almost got me killed a few times last winter. Im cheap and dont feel like buying snow tires for my stockers if I dont have to. Should I be worried, was thinking just wash the rims down daily with a bucket of warm water and keep the salt off as much as possible.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC00197.jpg

Here's a pic of my dirty rim, just cuz I know people like threads with pix.:D

robpp 11-15-2009 05:44 PM

Re: Running SRT chrome Rep rims in winter??

put a wheel sealant on them. or at least some wax.

then also wash them when there is salt around......

TimmyB 11-15-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 99917)
put a wheel sealant on them. or at least some wax.

then also wash them when there is salt around......

Wheel sealant, like Tire Wet I use already on my tires?

robpp 11-15-2009 06:17 PM

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=3312

i used the optiseal on my chrome wheels. but as of right now my wk isnt my DD so I can avoid the worst of it.

out here they use liquid de-icer MAG-CHLORIDE! not as corrosive as salt but you still need to get it off and protect from it.

Scottina06 11-15-2009 06:56 PM

chrome doesnt like salt.....keep them sprayed off and protected with whatver sealant or wax you have....like weekly if theres a lot of salt on the roads

TimmyB 11-15-2009 08:04 PM

Here's a pic of what my car looks like all thru winter after first snow fall. During winter I always turn off my garden faucet and blow out the line from keep the pipes from bursting so I would never wash the bitch, but i'll plan on hitting the self car wash to at least do my rims.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC01744.jpg

robpp 11-15-2009 08:10 PM

im inthe same boat here timmy. we blow out sprinklers and take in hoses early October. so its the coin-op self wash. one cool thing they got, but it does cost a buck, is the undercarriage wash. i use that when its snowy here.

today was third time I used my snowblower already this season. we had about a foot.

TimmyB 11-15-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 99997)
im inthe same boat here timmy. we blow out sprinklers and take in hoses early October. so its the coin-op self wash. one cool thing they got, but it does cost a buck, is the undercarriage wash. i use that when its snowy here.

today was third time I used my snowblower already this season. we had about a foot.

Oh wow, its getting really cold here at night but we wont see snow till late December or even January judging from past years. Today did suck for weather though, even though it was about 59 degrees out it rained since yestarday so i didnt get to do anything to my car. I bought a bunch of cans of rubberized undercoating I wanted to spray on everywhere under the car, since there is a decent amount of rusted areas already. Its actually more rust than I would of expected for it being an 05. And seeing pix before of other peoples WK's I see its not that uncommon. I saw that vendor u linked above and asked them what I should use for my paint and wheels, I NEED something on asap before the bad weather.

HEMIBeast 11-15-2009 08:36 PM

Let me know if you want my stock 17's Timmy. I don't mind loaning them or selling them to you.

Escape 11-15-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMIBeast (Post 100025)
Let me know if you want my stock 17's Timmy. I don't mind loaning them or selling them to you.

Now that's is some coolness right there! That's what our Jeep brotherhood is all about.:thumbsup:

Escape

TimmyB 11-15-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMIBeast (Post 100025)

Oh, I still have them. I was planning on getting good snow tires mounted on them, but now with me having to move i'd rather not spend any money I dont have to. So if I can get away with running my chrome rims that have good tires on them without messing up the finish i'd rather do that. I am saving my stock rims for when I get rid of this car later on down the road and turn it back to stock, I save almost everything I swapped out. Figured id get more selling everything seperate anyways, more than likely the person that buys my car wont want 20's or a dual srt exhaust on it. lol

TimmyB 11-15-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 100030)
Now that's is some coolness right there! That's what our Jeep brotherhood is all about.:thumbsup:

Escape

^^X2!!! But I think it has to do with the false cargo floor I just made for him. lol :p