Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   4.7 oil change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/4-7-oil-change-40631.html)

wjross 04-12-2012 10:39 AM

4.7 oil change

Well its time for another oil change, and i was just curious what luck any of yall might have had with different motor oil. Mine is the 4.7L (non-HO) 162k miles, and i have always liked to run it with Mobile-1 just thinking i might try somethin new. What are your preferences, or what would you recommend?

TJXJWJ 04-12-2012 11:49 AM

Re: 4.7 oil change

I use Mobil 1 on my wife's WK with a K&N oil filter.
My WJ gets Royal Purple with a K&N oil filter. I don't know that changing oils is really going to do much for ya...RP is pretty pricey stuff.

Prepare yourself for 1000 different opinions :)

Frango100 04-12-2012 01:29 PM

Yeh, with engine oils everybody has its own preferences, but i think that when you just stay with a well known brand, it doesn't matter that much which one to use. Synthetic oils have some advantages above dino oils and one is that for the same viscosity when cold, the synthetic is thinner, which adds in having the oil flowing to all the lubrication points sooner then with dino oils and this will lower the wear at startup (and the wear at startup is the principal reason for the total wear of the engine). Also using a 0W30 instead of a 5W30 will add in a quicker lubrication at startup. At operating temperature both oils have the same viscosity.

JeepFreak12 04-12-2012 02:46 PM

I use Lucas Oil 5W-30 with the k&n oil filter. That 1" nut at the bottom makes it so much easier!!

TJXJWJ 04-12-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 611875)
I use Lucas Oil 5W-30 with the k&n oil filter. That 1" nut at the bottom makes it so much easier!!

It's worth the extra $$$ just for the nut....I can't understand why more filter makers aren't incorporating that.

wjross 04-13-2012 09:48 AM

i agree that nut was an excellent idea from K&N, hard to believe they are the only ones doing that. Thanks TJ, RP was actually what im considering because i found it at a local NAPA for $6 a quart! and Frango i like the 0W pretty well, Mobile makes the claim that it helps fuel economy, and its all ive ever run so i don't know if thats true or not. if so im sure only slightly

JeepFreak12 04-13-2012 10:16 AM

I also agree. Its next to impossible to get an oil filter wrench in there. That nut saves alot of time haha

TJXJWJ 04-13-2012 03:47 PM

I don't even own an oil filter wrench anymore....they are all crap anyways. I'd use the Royal Purple oil filters if they would just weld a damn nut to the case.

01grand 04-13-2012 03:48 PM

x2 as bad if you have the front skid plate..... :slapfight:

It is tight to get to the filter, I'm on my first K&N filter right now, so we will see how much nicer that nut is. (Thats what she said!). Those or purolator pure one filters, they are rated good and with the grippy stuff on the can I can usually grab it tight by hand and get it loose.

You could spend most of your life reading peoples opinions on oil all over the internet so I will just say I have used Valvoline, Mobil1 and RP, all full synthetic. The Valvoline seemed to outlast the mobil, but the RP is beating them both. (no actual oil testing done, just my observations.)