Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Rear Passenger Brake Light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rear-passenger-brake-light-40650.html)

Bosibus 04-12-2012 03:34 PM

Rear Passenger Brake Light

I did some searching here on the forums and on the interwebz and could not find a solid solution.

My rear passenger brake light is out. The tail lamp still works but the brake light is out. I replace the bulb, still no brake, replace with another bulb, still no brake.

Check fuse under hood for brakes, fuse is good which means still no brake.

Researching, the brake switch under the pedal could be the issue but it appears this affects all brakes, not just one side, is this true?

Just looking for possible answers/solutions here. As always, I appreciate everyone's help.

JMLoughrey 04-12-2012 11:33 PM

Re: Rear Passenger Brake Light

i'd grab a dmm and start tracing the wire. Find out where you dont have power, start at the bulb socket and work your way forward.
Could be a break in the line somewhere, could be a bad socket as well. Check for corrosion on the terminals, i can't tell you how many times i've fixed cars with various issues because of corrosion on the socket terminal.

4.whoa 04-13-2012 06:22 AM

try wiggling the "pc board" type thing(sorry dont know the right name) one of mine was replaced with seperate sockets for each bulb before i got it(passenger side as well,come to think of it) but the other side gave me trouble with the turn sig not working. have someone step on the pedal while you slowly move that arround, worked for me!

Bosibus 04-13-2012 07:59 AM

Thanks guys, will do.

antsjeep 04-13-2012 08:00 AM

Sounds like it could be a bent pin in that connector not making contact with the bulb properly or maybe even the wire leading into the connector is pinched or cut. Its probably something easy to fix.

Start by inspecting the pins in the connector, then work backwards with a MM (multi meter).

Hemi24 04-13-2012 01:55 PM

I actually had a similar problem with my passenger light, my turn signals worked fine but my passenger side brake light wouldn't work. After replacing the bulb and checking the fuses, i discovered that the circuit board in the back of my tail light that all the bulbs plug into had become corroded and eventually shorted out. I tried to find parts at salvage yards and online but my only option was to get a new tail light assembly. I ended up buying a nice used set of LED tails from a member on here. Good luck with everything

Bosibus 04-17-2012 01:40 PM

I ended up taking the cover off again, taking out all three lights, and replacing two instead of the top light, and it worked. I have no idea why, I was wondering if it was some kind of impedance matching circuit in the PCB but I really have no idea. I am going to keep my eye on it but for right now, it is working. Thanks again for all your help fellas.