Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   What to do?..buy/order now or wait?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/what-to-do-buy-order-now-or-wait-40666.html)

laredoCRD 04-13-2012 07:30 AM

What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
So I've been looking seriously at the Laredo CRD in the past few weeks.
It seems that no one has the diesel model in stock, or in the right colour, or for the right price..
Most are saying an august delivery meaning an order must be placed.

I don't mind waiting until August or even September.. but would it be better to wait until around June or July to order and get an MY13 model?

What should someone do in this situation?

jeepster23 04-13-2012 10:59 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
So you are honestly thinking of buying a Jeep that you have never test driven? You have more guts than me bro!

allypally 04-13-2012 12:20 PM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
According to the forecast, the 2013 base models will have very few changes. The 8 speed transmission wont be available until March/April next year, meaning around June here. However, if it were me, I would have a leaning towards the 2013 model if they are telling you an Aug delivery on a 2012 model.

Mendo 04-13-2012 03:16 PM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
I had a friend in the same situation. The 8 speed is too far away. So with minimal changes to MY13 he went with MY12. There is an added delay in waiting for a my13 because the factory shuts down late June July for a few weeks leaving delivery at October / November. I'd get in quick if you wanted to get a MY12 because people ordering April / May last year missed the MY11 yr production and had to wait for a MY12 anyway. If you're not fussed on colour your dealer should be able to find an unsold one on a boat to take earlier delivery.

laredoCRD 04-13-2012 06:54 PM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 612301)
So you are honestly thinking of buying a Jeep that you have never test driven? You have more guts than me bro!

Nope, Ive test driven 3 times now - both petrol and diesel. The diesel is a no brainer.

Im not concerned about the 8speed. I cant wait that long.

So Im thinkng that I have 2 options. a) find an unsold car either in a yard (which is probably a 2011 build) or on its way on a boat.. Or b) place an order in the next week or so in the colour I really want (white) and beat the factory shutdown in june/july.

Either option will be an MY12..

allypally 04-13-2012 08:34 PM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Since you have not indicated your location, I cant really point you to a local dealer which may have stock.
However, some dealers are ordering with ghost customers so they can have stock. From what I heard, dealers must have a customer before ordering, so some are applying for ficticious owners.
Therefore if you look at CarSelas, you may not see stock which is sitting in dealers yards.
You need to actually phone around the dealers and ask if they have floorstock.
I know of 2 Sydney dealers who do have stock which they cannot advertise.

laredoCRD 04-14-2012 03:04 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 612561)
Since you have not indicated your location, I cant really point you to a local dealer which may have stock.
However, some dealers are ordering with ghost customers so they can have stock. From what I heard, dealers must have a customer before ordering, so some are applying for ficticious owners.
Therefore if you look at CarSelas, you may not see stock which is sitting in dealers yards.
You need to actually phone around the dealers and ask if they have floorstock.
I know of 2 Sydney dealers who do have stock which they cannot advertise.

Yep, Im in Sydney..and have done the ring around but no one has white, standard out of the box.. Either they have quadralift or sunroof which adds around $3K extra.. not to mention they are not really discounting on what they have in stock (understandably)..

Like I said, Im not fussed about the 8speed being released or not..but I would be disappointed to have to wait until Aug or Sept for an MY12 and then find a month later there is MY13 models around..

savvas 04-14-2012 03:46 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by laredoCRD (Post 612523)
Nope, Ive test driven 3 times now - both petrol and diesel. The diesel is a no brainer.

Im not concerned about the 8speed. I cant wait that long.

So Im thinkng that I have 2 options. a) find an unsold car either in a yard (which is probably a 2011 build) or on its way on a boat.. Or b) place an order in the next week or so in the colour I really want (white) and beat the factory shutdown in june/july.

Either option will be an MY12..

You wont find an unsold 2011 Laredo CRD in a yard.

You could end up in my situation, where you order thinking that there would be a 3 to 4 month, align your finances and a bunch of business travel to match the timeframe, and then get called to be told there's an unallocated car on a boat that will arrive in 4 weeks. Luckily my dealer is willing to delay delivery to match my timeframe. So they're going to hold the car for me in storage for a while until I'm ready.

One thing you can do is ask the dealer to find out from Jeep what unallocated stock there is coming in and in what colour ... which is what I should have done in hindsight.

I thought about the 8 speed too. But it's too far away and too new in my view. It will coincide with CRD being released in the US, so there will likely be even longer delays in getting one to Oz.

savvas 04-14-2012 03:52 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 612561)
Since you have not indicated your location, I cant really point you to a local dealer which may have stock.
However, some dealers are ordering with ghost customers so they can have stock. From what I heard, dealers must have a customer before ordering, so some are applying for ficticious owners.
Therefore if you look at CarSelas, you may not see stock which is sitting in dealers yards.
You need to actually phone around the dealers and ask if they have floorstock.
I know of 2 Sydney dealers who do have stock which they cannot advertise.

From what's happened to me, Jeep does in fact bring in unallocated stock. I guess they are trying to improve turnaround time for orders.

GlennR 04-20-2012 12:03 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 612693)
From what's happened to me, Jeep does in fact bring in unallocated stock. I guess they are trying to improve turnaround time for orders.

Savvas is correct. I've just been offered same spec car I have on order except they wanted an extra $3k!. Mines here in 6 weeks and I'm happy to wait now I've got my build sheet.

LaredoCRD, wait exactly 8 days then buy the white one with the sunroof for a nice dicounted price. Always better to purchase month end when sales figures must be reached. You might be able to get a few extras thrown in.

Milous 04-20-2012 12:17 AM

Re: What to do?..buy/order now or wait??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendo (Post 612427)
There is an added delay in waiting for a my13 because the factory shuts down late June July for a few weeks leaving delivery at October / November.

2013 model year production is starting early. There will be a very short time, just a couple days, between end of 2012 production (June 30th) and start of 2013 production (July 2nd). This is due, in part, to the fact that there are only very minor changes for the new model year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community