Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Lights question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/lights-question-40688.html)

tallguy 04-13-2012 03:23 PM

Lights question

I had a question about the amber park lights not coming on with the DRL's in Canada.
Found out they come on with lo-beams only so all is good.
Also I thought the Auto headlight setting would only turn on the front lights but that's not the case, all lights will be turn on also the taillights. All is good.

SnoFire 04-13-2012 04:09 PM

Re: Lights question

I believ the parking lights don't come in auto when the vehicle is in park? Double check that. Leave it in auto and put the vehicle in drive, they should come on then.

JTS97Z28 04-13-2012 08:45 PM

Very weird indeed. It's either some goofy Canadian WK2 thing or there is something wrong with your Jeep. My 2012 Overland's park lamps certainly illuminate when the headlights are in auto mode. Even while still in park.

James

mot250 04-13-2012 09:34 PM

Looks like a Laredo ? Do they act differently than the Limited and Overland?

JTS97Z28 04-13-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallguy (Post 612606)
How about the taillights?
Do you turn the switch fully to the right to also turn on the taillights?
I'm coming from a German vehicle and I find it goofy that the automatic setting only seems to turn on the front lo-beams...
Maybe that's why I see so many vehicles at night with only front lights on and rear off?
I tried the Auto setting today, overcast day and on my way to work the lights came on/off at least 5 times, not sure if I like this setting.

Ofcourse it turns on my rear tail lamps. Well it better otherwise we would have big problems :-) In auto mode all lights are on! park lamps, low beam HID's (or halogen if you have Laredo), rear tail lamps and license plate lamps. This is exactly how it should be. If your Jeep is doing otherwise there is something wrong.

I always leave my vehicles in auto mode including the Jeep and they have always worked as advertised all the time. They have never cycled on or off either unless your going through a crazy long tunnel or something.

James

JTS97Z28 04-14-2012 05:03 AM

The manual only refers to the headlights because I assume it's just a known fact that when it says headlights you are to assume that your other required lights will come on as well. I don't think it's necessary for the manual to state each and every bulb that comes on at night time so the term "headlights" refers to everything.

There is absolutely no difference in which interior or exterior lights illuminate when the headlight switch is in auto or on position. They both do the same exact thing except one selection turns everything on and off for you, and the other you control yourself. There is no other easy way for me to put it, and like I said if your switch is in the "A" position and nothing more than your actual low beam headlights come on in dark conditions, then it sounds like its time for a trip to the dealership.

James