Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Is it Possible to Completely Turn off "Remote Start"? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/is-it-possible-to-completely-turn-off-remote-start-40692.html)

ColoradoJeep 04-13-2012 03:43 PM

Is it Possible to Completely Turn off "Remote Start"?

The doesn't seem to be an option in the EVIC (or in the manual) to completely turn off "Remote Start"? My grandson found the key fob and hit remote start (yes twice) while it was in the garage.

bmrisko 04-13-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Is it Possible to Completely Turn off "Remote Start"?

The best option may be to put your keys in a location where he can not reach them. I can see this being one of the options going away in a few years b/c of some stupid lawsuit where people are not responsible for their own actions (not saying you aren't, but these things always starts like that...)

Another option is to pry the fob open and modify the button to not make contact (if you seriously want to permanently disable the feature from the fob).

SMG1 04-14-2012 09:00 AM

It could be a pain to do every time, but one option would be to leave the rear liftgate glass unlocked (but not all the way open) when he's around. I don't think the remote start will work if the hood, doors, rear glass, etc. aren't fully closed.

speedtek 04-14-2012 01:21 PM

I am pretty sure you can turn it off in the EVIC menu.

xJoshxx 04-15-2012 10:28 AM

pop the hood.

Jeep_addicted 04-15-2012 10:39 AM

I thought there was an option in the EVIC vehicle settings menu to deactivate the remote start.

suzieque 04-15-2012 04:05 PM

On the WK there is a hood pin switch that will not let the remote start work if the hood is open. If the wk2 has the same switch by the front drivers side fender you could move the switch so it is always open, that would disable the remote start.

Jdsmitty10 04-18-2012 12:52 PM

i also thought there was a setting in the evic to disable... i worry about this too with my kids running around... i keep my key in the jeep while parked in the garage..and if not i keep it in the garage where the kids cant get to it...and the spare is hidden out of childrens reach...not only for remote start but for the power liftgate accidentally being opened into my garage door if the jeep is not pulled in far enough...

Justal13 04-18-2012 09:33 PM

There is no option in the EVIC to turn off the remote start option. The EVIC does allow for setting the Remote Start Comfort System on or off. See page 33 - 2012 GC Owner's Manual. The complete list of EVIC settings and options starts on page 299.

fundguy 04-21-2012 04:14 PM

Keys in pocket works. Or a good spanking if he does it again. Time out if you are the PC police. Not sure when teaching a child responsibilty when he's older or parents taking it when they aren't and putting dangerous things like knives and chemicals was replaced by modifying your vehicle to allow him to continue bad behavior. :rolleyes:

SW03ES 05-03-2012 11:30 PM

You know, its funny I was one of the people running around here saying "just watch your keys, how can you hit the button twice by accident? etc"

However, I got home the other day in the Lexus, and my wife was already home so the Jeep was in the garage. I got out of the car and the key must have caught just right in my pocket as I was swinging my leg over to get up...and the Jeep fired right up.

So...its definately possible to trigger it by accident...I stand corrected.

Snipe315 05-16-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 612444)
I can see this being one of the options going away in a few years b/c of some stupid lawsuit where people are not responsible for their own actions (not saying you aren't, but these things always starts like that...)

Yup... just what we need. More interference in our lives and stupid rules because some people can't take responsibility for their actions and decisions. :mad:

Quote:

Another option is to pry the fob open and modify the button to not make contact (if you seriously want to permanently disable the feature from the fob).
This sounds like it is the best suggestions for those who want to disable the Remote Start feature.