Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Towed in NYC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/towed-in-nyc-40721.html)

wk2overlandsummit 04-14-2012 07:03 AM

Towed in NYC

Hey guys, my 4x4 overland summit was towed out of a no-standing zone yesterday. When I finally got it back, I asked the tow truck operators whether they use flatbeds. The answer is no, they simply lift the rear wheels off the ground and let the front wheels roll on the road surface. It seems to be driving normally, but I'm wondering if there could be damage to the transmission/transfer case etc. It was towed a total of about 2 miles in this manner.

RageOfFury 04-14-2012 07:40 AM

Re: Towed in NYC

Just checked the owner's manual and only flat bed towing is allowed for 4x4 models.:( I would strongly recommend you have the transmission, differentials and transfer case inspected by the dealer.

Quote:

Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles

The manufacturer recommends towing with all wheels
OFF the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow the
vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of vehicle raised and
the opposite end on a towing dolly.

If flatbed equipment is not available, and the transfer
case is operable, the vehicle may be towed (in the
forward direction, with ALL wheels on the ground), IF
the transfer case is in NEUTRAL and the transmission is
in PARK. Refer to “Recreational Towing” in “Starting
and Operating” for further information.

CAUTION!
• Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used.
Internal damage to the transmission or transfer
case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used
when towing.
• Failure to follow these towing methods could
result in damage to the transmission and/or transfer
case. Such damage is not

sined240 04-14-2012 07:42 AM

did they jimmy your doors open and release the transfer case by putting it in N? If not, probably wasnt good for your car, but as long as it drives fine, it should be good. What are you doing parking your car in a no standing zone in NYC even for 1 min anyways? I would never do that with any car especially a Summit...

SMG1 04-14-2012 09:07 AM

Yesterday I saw a tow truck towing a Range Rover (huge surprise) with the front end lifted and dollies under the rear tires. I had never seen that before, but I assumed it was for the same reason (not being able to get into the truck to release the transfer case).

Chaoul1 04-14-2012 09:52 AM

If you think something is wrong then take it to the dealership, if not and then your fine :)

Robert Palmer 04-14-2012 10:41 AM

Yeahhhhhhh Manhattan doesnt give a shit. Sorry to hear that you got towed bro.

AAAA 04-14-2012 11:14 AM

Hard to believe that the guy was not just busting your b*lls on that one. Most cars are front wheel drive today, so I can't imagine that they would lift the rear and drag the front in general. On the other hand I haven't watched them tow an illegally parked car in the city lately.

Robert Palmer 04-14-2012 11:17 AM

Oh they are butchers man. They are no bueno.

AAAA 04-14-2012 05:17 PM

That sucks. Wk2overlandsummit, you can park at my house and take the train from Rensselaer station next time. It's a nice ride right along the water all the way.

nek121328 04-14-2012 05:40 PM

Ah, moral of the story is dont' park where you shouldn't and there won't be an issue.

nyc_medic 04-14-2012 10:56 PM

I see the tow truck drives ruin all kinds of cars. They dont care what happens to the car. Only thing they care about is getting the car back to the yard so they can rape you in charges. I would take it in just to have them check it.

armoredsaint 04-16-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 612939)
Ah, moral of the story is dont' park where you shouldn't and there won't be an issue.

exactly.